Shell casings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimship15

What's up with using shell casings as pen blanks? They would probably look pretty cool with the rifle clips that are available but how do you use a casing as a lower blank???

I have about a bazillion (maybe not that many) rifle casings laying around. It would be cool to make a couple pens out of them>

Thanks,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Several different approaches and several different finishes. There are articles by Don Ward in the files that presents some ways to do it. Do a search on casings to see more discusison over the past few years.

stevers

Cozee has shells for sale with the tube already installed for the beginning shell pen maker. He has some good tutorials on the subject as well.

Look in the classified section for his stuff.

its_virgil

Where might one find the tutorials. They are not in the library. If they are lurking in the annals of the archives, could a link be posted to which floor they reside. I have a friend who would like to read them[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by stevers
<br /> He has some good tutorials on the subject as well.

Look in the classified section for his stuff.

Gary Max

Here's a side by side of a 30/06 brass and a 308 nickel. You can do lots of stuff to dress these up. Pick guard material makes a neat center band---and you pointed out the rifle clips. I like useing antler also---really gives it the hunters appeal.

20073584624_twopens.jpg
<br />

cozee

Casing conversion is quite simple. Once fired work best for sizing to the nib. My personal favorites are the .308. The used primer will need to be removed. I use a straight punch from the inside. Now use the primer hole for your guide and drill using a 7mm bit. Slow and easy with lubrication will help keep it from walking and drilling off center. Rough up the inside of the bullet end along with the outsides of both ends of your 7mm slimline tube. Glue a piece of scrap wood to one end and when ready, turn to loose press fit inside the bullet end of the casing. Just glue tube in casing as you would a regular blank. Very little trimming will be needed.

As simple as it is I will be doing a demo on these at the Gathering later this month.

KenV

Here is the pointer to Don Wards article. This approach cuts the pen into segments with wood/antler/what-ever for filler. Nice looking pen results.

http://www.penturners.org/content/CartridgePens.pdf

Using the search function on "casings" here are a few good threads

Here is a nice photo spread using a 2018 arrow section as the backbone for a casing pen. The bullets are drilled and soldered in.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21171&SearchTerms=casing%2Cpen

Here is some discussion on different approaches

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19259&SearchTerms=casing%2Cpen

By searching on "casing pen" there are a number of past posts available over the last 6 months showing several different approaches

leatherjunkie

I use the large size bushing from the cigar bushings for sizing the turned material that fits to the shell casing.
I will turn it to match the bushing then replace large bushing with a slimline bushing and do my final sizing with sandpaper.

I used cozee's 308 shell cases. I still have not tried to make my own shell cases.

cozee

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />I use the large size bushing from the cigar bushings for sizing the turned material that fits to the shell casing.
I will turn it to match the bushing then replace large bushing with a slimline bushing and do my final sizing with sandpaper.

I used cozee's 308 shell cases. I still have not tried to make my own shell cases.

Ditto. I even use my own casings.

<b>Gary</b>, not trying to be critical, but did you sell the bottom pen in the picture? Things appear to be out of alignment.

MrDave

I am looking forward to your demo!
Originally posted by cozee
<br />Casing conversion is quite simple. Once fired work best for sizing to the nib. My personal favorites are the .308. The used primer will need to be removed. I use a straight punch from the inside. Now use the primer hole for your guide and drill using a 7mm bit. Slow and easy with lubrication will help keep it from walking and drilling off center. Rough up the inside of the bullet end along with the outsides of both ends of your 7mm slimline tube. Glue a piece of scrap wood to one end and when ready, turn to loose press fit inside the bullet end of the casing. Just glue tube in casing as you would a regular blank. Very little trimming will be needed.

As simple as it is I will be doing a demo on these at the Gathering later this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom