shell casing question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I've not been real big on casing pens, but I wasn't real big on synthetics when I first started either. Now they are about half of what I do. :D Anyway, I've seen some very nice looking ones on here and have decided to give 'em a try, but I have a question for the experts. It appears that most of you are using .308s, but I've seen other .30 cals used, I think. The 30-06 is a bit longer than the .308, but is it too long? I'm looking at a number of brass options and I don't want to pick up something I won't be able to use. TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

I use 300 Winchester Magnums. The seem to work and look the nicest in my eye. The 308's are small in length. To make the pen seem like the right length, you need to make the upper portion longer. Without the proper shape, the upper barrel is hard to make look right. I like how KnottyHarry does them though. Here is a 300:

300winamericanmallee1.jpg

Here is what I have done with the .308's.

redmalle308.jpg

Most people here said they did not like the way I used the portion of the .308 for the centerband area. I tend to agree. However, the 308 was too small overall length without it.

Here is a 300 Win Mag with a Euro Finial:

redmallee300.jpg

30-06's are nice too, but I haven't any photos of the ones that I have made.

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you are using any casing that is too long, and are using a 7 mm kit, the way I make them you can turn a tenon on the lower portion of the top barrel and it will fit nicely into the casing.
It shows craftsmanship and adds to the strucural integrity of the pen.
Of course the casing needs to be drilled accurately on center for this to work.

cozee

I moved my question(s) to their own thread so as not to hijack this one.

By the way, Awesome pens! Awesome!

arjudy

Here are a couple of mine. A .338 Winchester Magnum with walnut upper and a .340 Weatherby Magnum with water buffalo horn upper. I prefer to use the euro kit over the slimline. I also use .30-06 casings with a slimeline nib and the euro parts for the upper barrel.

200510210460_IAP338WinMag.jpg
<br />

2005102104623_IAP340Weatherby.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom