shell casing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I have seen that some of you have made pens out of shell casings and was wondering if any of you could give some pointers. I would like to try some of these,so any help would be appreciated. also would like to see some more pictures of them. If you have any in your photo gallery please let me know

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I'm with Brent on the instruction request. Also a reasonable cost source on the shell casings would be nice as I don't own a weapon. I assume you use reload cases but wonder if there would be a way to get recycled brass and or do they become distorted at some point?

its_virgil

I have the instructions in a word file, or at least a rough draft. I will try to refine them into an article for our archives. doing the article has been on my list of things to do, but turning is more fun than writing about turning. I'll see what I can do about the article. I make three styles of cartridge pens. Maybe there are 3 articles somewhere in my computer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Brent
<br />I have seen that some of you have made pens out of shell casings and was wondering if any of you could give some pointers. I would like to try some of these,so any help would be appreciated. also would like to see some more pictures of them. If you have any in your photo gallery please let me know

Brent

virgil. If you find them would you please send them to me.since I have not made any of these any help would be apprecaited. also I have 30-6 222 and 243 casing would any of these work.

its_virgil

Brent,
I use 25-06 because it is popular here in Tex. Any 30 caliber works as will any cartridge where the primer end's diameter is lesss than the diameter of the clip holder (where the finial goes through). For just brass, 45 auto and 9mm work. I have used 270, 243, 7mm, 30-30, 30-06 as I remember. I will find the instructions and pictures and get them to you and try to get the article written. They are fun to make.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
aka its_virgil
Originally posted by Brent
<br />virgil. If you find them would you please send them to me.since I have not made any of these any help would be apprecaited. also I have 30-6 222 and 243 casing would any of these work.

its_virgil

I purchase new brass and lead from a gun shop that sell relaoding supplies. If brass that has been shot/ fired is used the neck has to be crimped to reduced the diameter to accept the lead bullet. New brass has already been crimped. The crimper is a tool I would never use so I just purchase new brass. The only drawback is the lead only comes in 100 piece pkgs and costs around $18, so I just stick to one caliber. If a customer requires a different caliber, I have them find the brass and lead and have the brass crimped and supply these parts. No, I do not reduce the price of the pen. Most hunters will have empty brass and will know someone who reloads and supplying the brass and lead is ususlly no problem.

For using pistol brass, I go to the local gun range and pick up the brass or buy a box of cartridges and give to a policeman friend and he takes them to the police range and brings lme the brass. Works out good. don't use lead when I use pistol brass.

More later. I'm trying to find the instructions. It may take a day or two to get them readable by someone other than me.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />I am not a "gunner" myself. I imagine a local gunsmith would be a good source. Maybe you can trade shells for a pen!

Brent

Thanks virgil, It will be after the first of the year before I try some but it does look like fun. Iam still making pens for christmas presents.waiting for my last shipment of wood today. looks like some late nights but I don't mind its worth it to see the look on their faces when I tell them that I made it. I will try to post some pictures late tonight I am enjoying everyones pictures and help

Gary Max

I would be willing to make you some fresh brass caseing.
They will have the primmer discharged.
We could trade for Pen Blanks or????????????
Now all I got to do is talk the wife into picking up the shells as they fall to the ground.
If there is any interest let me know and I will post some pics

PenWorks

This site just gets better every Day [:D] Gun talk on a pen site, I love it [:p] Next thing you know, you will be seeing pictures of my XP100 custom gun stocks I made sitting next to Gary's Lamp. [}:)] Anthony

PS, My little pocket pens in 7TCU have sold good, had to reorder 25 kits.
[;)]

PenWorks

Happy belated birthday, No forget that, if you look, I allready wished you one.

7TCU, 7= the mm of the bullet, TC= Thompson Center, the name of the gun manufacturer, U= Unlimted, the class of shootting the cartridge was intended for. The 7TCU case, is a .223 caliber and the neck was necked up to a 7mm. That is why it work well for the pocket pen because the neck size of 7mm works well for the 7mm brass tube. Reloading for pens 101 , Anthony

jkirkb94

Brent, I buy most all of my cases at www.midwayusa.com. They have a variety of cases and equipment. Once I get the electricity any wall up in my workshop I plan to build a reloading bench for my shells. I too have been looking forward to making some pens using shells and bullets. Don, I will be looking forward to any help you can give. Until now I was just going to try to reverse engineer from pictures that I have seen. Kirk [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom