Shell Casing pen info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Hello guys and gals.
I have been making pens using rifle brass shell casings for almost two years now. I did not like the brass tarnshing so I began to powdercoat the metal parts with clear powdercoating to keep them nice and shinny. I have recently come upon some information where some shell casing pens are tarnishing and discoloring the light woods or antler where the two materials meet at the CB area. I checked one of the very first cartridge/antler pens I made and it has some discoloration. Ever had cheap gold turn you skin green? This is what the brass is doing...tarnishing and turning the lighter woods and antler green. I would suggest that the brass and the other material...antler or wood...be sealed to prevent the tarnishing and discoloring. Powdercoating has worked for me. CA can be used to seal the antler or wood. Actually I finish all of my pens with CA...wood and antler. Possibly lacquer could be sprayed onto the brass to seal and prevent the tarnishing. Maybe just the antler or wood could be sealed with CA or lacquer and the problem would be solved. I can't answer what should be done; each of you making these pens should experiment and find a way to seal and solve this potential problem. Thanks Eagle for the heads up.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brent

Thanks Don for the information, I am going to buy a powder coater form HF. The spare cash can just about has enough in it. I hope they will put it on sale soon

Rifleman1776

Yes, brass will do that to natural materials. The discoloration will eventually become a green crud called verdigris. This is a common occurance as any old-time G.I. or hunter knows. Brass fittings on leather will do that, it doesn't surprise me that antler/brass reacts similarly. For a new effect, you might shop for nickle plated cartridges. They are more common in pistol caliber but definately are made for rifle also.

its_virgil

I've use the casings made from aircraft aluminum. They are not reloadable...one time use. Not a shooter so I don't know what they are called. They polish to a nice shine and look really good...at least the ones I have...there may be more than one kind of the non-reloadables.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Yes, brass will do that to natural materials. The discoloration will eventually become a green crud called verdigris. This is a common occurance as any old-time G.I. or hunter knows. Brass fittings on leather will do that, it doesn't surprise me that antler/brass reacts similarly. For a new effect, you might shop for nickle plated cartridges. They are more common in pistol caliber but definately are made for rifle also.

Rifleman1776

They are called not reloadable [:p], really. There are also some steel ones out there but most are obsolete calibers not readily available.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I've use the casings made from aircraft aluminum. They are not reloadable...one time use. Not a shooter so I don't know what they are called. They polish to a nice shine and look really good...at least the ones I have...there may be more than one kind of the non-reloadables.
do a good turn daily!
Don

<br />Yes, brass will do that to natural materials. The discoloration will eventually become a green crud called verdigris. This is a common occurance as any old-time G.I. or hunter knows. Brass fittings on leather will do that, it doesn't surprise me that antler/brass reacts similarly. For a new effect, you might shop for nickle plated cartridges. They are more common in pistol caliber but definately are made for rifle also.

its_virgil

Not sure what they are called but I can find out if you want more info. I bought a box of 9mm pistol and had a policeman friend shoot them at the police range. He brought me the empties. I really don't know what exactly they are called. I'm going by the gun store where I bought them on errands tomorrow and I'll drop in and get some more info.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />

They are called not reloadable [:p], really. There are also some steel ones out there but most are obsolete calibers not readily available.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I've use the casings made from aircraft aluminum. They are not reloadable...one time use. Not a shooter so I don't know what they are called. They polish to a nice shine and look really good...at least the ones I have...there may be more than one kind of the non-reloadables.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Thumbs

I've seen a powder coating outfit advertised in the Harbor Freight catalog. Are you using something like that? Where do you get the "clear coat?" Does using this stuff require a long learning curve or can any old Duf do it?

its_virgil

Thumbs,
If an old Duf like me can do it, you can. I have the Harbor Freight system and the learning curve is not very steep at all. You will need an air compressor and a small toaster oven. HF does not have the clear, but http://www.columbiacoatings.com has just about any color one would want, including the clear. If you will email me I will send you a tutorial on powdercoating that will tell you everything you need to know. I am trying to contact the author to get permission to make it a part of our archived articles.

The article is in the files area of the Yahoo penturners group, but I can email it to any who are interested.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />I've seen a powder coating outfit advertised in the Harbor Freight catalog. Are you using something like that? Where do you get the "clear coat?" Does using this stuff require a long learning curve or can any old Duf do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom