Shell Cartridge Pens -Attn. Eagle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

Eagle,
Since you seem to be the master at making pens from shell casings , how about making up a short tutorial on the method of doing it ??
I just acquired some .303 and .75?(that's what is stamped on the shell) casings and would like to try making some pens from them !
Thanks ,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Where are you hung up?
How many attempts have you tried?
What problems did you come up against?
What solutions did you try?
What are you tring to do?
This is a PK Mont Par from PSI
Parker twist.
Didn't get much feed back on the cigar so I figured everyone was tired of looking at them.
I'm not the "Master" therre are a lot of good looking ones out there.
I'm stll working on the aspect that will make it"mine"

200521216423_euro%20antler%20casing%20parker1.jpg
<br />

2005212164319_euroantler%20casing%20parker%202.jpg
<br />

dougle40

Where are you hung up?
Is there a tube inside the cartridge and if so , is there some wood turned to fit inside or something else ?
None , I'm still tyring to figure out just how to go about it .
Trying to figure out how to get a tube inside a shell that's quite a bit bigger than the tube it's self .
Trying to come up with a pen that's as beautiful as the ones that you've been producing .
The 2 pics that you've posted answers the question of where to drill out the cartridge and where to cut it but the rest still eludes me .

I don't know if the .303 shells will work or not but I'm going to try to get them to work . At the present time the only kits I have available are slimlines and Berea Cigar kits . Due to a shorage of funds right now I'm sort of limited as to what I can work with .

I don't want to contradict you , but when it comes to making pens from shell casings , you <b>ARE</b> the <b>MASTER</b> ,IMHO!!

G

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />
Where are you hung up?
Is there a tube inside the cartridge and if so , is there some wood turned to fit inside or something else ?Yes
None , I'm still tyring to figure out just how to go about it .
Trying to figure out how to get a tube inside a shell that's quite a bit bigger than the tube it's self .First thing you need to do is figure out if the neck of the casing you have is close enough for the nib of a slim line.
Trying to come up with a pen that's as beautiful as the ones that you've been producing .
The 2 pics that you've posted answers the question of where to drill out the cartridge and where to cut it but the rest still eludes me .

I don't know if the .303 shells will work or not but I'm going to try to get them to work . At the present time the only kits I have available are slimlines and Berea Cigar kits . Due to a shorage of funds right now I'm sort of limited as to what I can work with .
If they are too small,they can be "swedged" out with a steel drift pin.Or if you are licky a real swedging tool.If you know someone who reloads shells(I don't) they can help/
I did post a cigar pen but that was made with a 8mm Remington Magnum.You said you hada 303 but did not say what kind.I could only find 2 a Save and a British.
Both are too short for a cigar once you cuy off the neck at a point wherre the nib will fit.
They are really too short to begin with.I believe the lower barrel on a cigar pen is 2&1/16" long.The longest the 303 that I could find is 2.22" including the neck and to get the dia right you need to cut that off.
I can't post any more pictures of the cigar I already made it went out yesterday.
So it looks like you are stuck with a slim line for now.
The first slimline I made is still my favorite of these.
When I started doing these I never paid attention to the casings i used so I can't help you there.
I did use 300 magnums and 30-06's

I don't want to contradict you , but when it comes to making pens from shell casings , you <b>ARE</b> the <b>MASTER</b> ,IMHO!!
Let me tell you this much,The first complete casing pen I made took 3 or 4 shells, and about 5 hours to make not including fabricating my own tools and time spent looking for things that don't exist in real life or the internet.

G

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Wow! Eaglesc, now that R&D...[8D]
Yeah I know but I am happy with the results...
so far.
still room for improvement.

knottyharry

Woo Hoo Eagle,
I like that pen. I'm still working on some different casings. And will post some pic when I can.
One question to you. How and what do you use to cut the casings with.
I wanted to use a tubing cutter. But it doesn't want to cut it straight, because of the taper of the casing. So up to this point I have been using my scroll saw to cut them. It doesn't do to bad. But definitely have to look for a better blade to use.
Harry

Tom McMillan

Not sure how Eagle cuts his---I use a tubing cutter on some of mine---but, I'm likely cutting in a different place than you are. I've also used a hacksaw and trued it up with my disk sander.

knottyharry

I think on the 30-06 casing ???? I used the tubing cutter.
But the 270 casing has enough taper that it wants to roll downhill.
I have cut them all over the place. At the ends, in the middle, etc.
I also use my disc sander to true up the casing once it has been cut.
Harry

G

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Can't wait to see the plating...
You probably won't, very few comments on the last one I posted.
I guess there are those who cannot separate personalities from craftsmanship.
I can take any hits anyone throws, I just look at the WORK of the poster to see if the statement is credible.
But to post a picture of my efforts and get a couple of replies from a few members, it's not worth my time to resize and post it so I am not posting any more pictures of my work.
I was contemplating updating my album , the pens there are mostly old and not very creative.
I see no need for any new ones in the album either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom