Sharpening turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

I know there are several ways to sharpen your woodturning tools. It depends on personal preferance. What is the correct angle on spindle gouges. I had a little mishap and need to grind back the tip of my gouge to remove the damage.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

I try to keep the angle that is already on the gouge. But, it is a personal preference to each and every individual. I'm not sure to what degree the original angle is.

wayneis

Greg it would depend on the Gouge in question as there are many different Gouges on the market and they each have there own special grind and angle. There really is no pat answer.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ditto above.

I think the longer you turn, the braver (or stupider) you get. I now turn with a very steep angle, probably 70 degrees or so, but started at about 20-25 degrees. Really personal preference.

When you are comfortable, it is correct!

Dario

Yep..it all boils down to preference and knowing how to handle the tool. Once you got the cut approach in reference to your bevel...angle actually matter less and less. Errors of course can be costly with a steep angle, it being aggressive.

Just my 2 cents.

Ronald Allen

I have kept the angels as they were set and before sharpening I use a black felt tip to mark the angel and push the stone until the angel is correct then turn the grinder on and just gind a bit at a time and then soak it in water to prevent the tool from burning. If I feel the tool is getting dull I repeat the process. A sharp tool works better than a dull one. Better be safe than sorry.
My .0001 worth... have no change ...
Ron[:eek:)]

Fleabit

I use the existing angle that is already on the tools. Everytime I have tried to change it somewhat....I get bad results causing many lost minutes and choice words.

butcherofwood

I use angle the tool came with. wirte down formula in book will each tool number and reference them when sharpening. I have used sevreal differnt sharpeners but in this case for our use I found the Tormek to be the best. Just a thought, not a requirement.

GregD

Success!!! I set up my grinder for a 30°relief and went to it. My gouge cuts better now than when it was new. BTW 30° was the existing angle.

gc

Every workshop I go to the instructor has a different angle that works for him. If I tried each angle I would grind away a lot of steel. Experiment and find the one that works for the job at hand for you.[:)]

gc

Ron, woodcentral.com has a section on shape and sharpening of gouges. Look on the left side of the site, a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom