Sharpening System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BogBean

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading this board for about a month and it has been a great help on most of the tools needed for a small wood shop. I could not find much on sharpening. Which sharpening system is the best for a newbie? Thank you for the help...Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

It my opion a slow speed grinder is best for sparpening lathe tools. I use the Wolverine grinding jig along with a Delta slow speed industrial grinder (it is a monster that weighs about 100 lbs). I have heard very good things about the Tormek but I could not justify the price for the kind of sharpening I do.

dougle40

I'm still using a 1" belt sander , I do have a grinder but no jig for it as of yet , the final grind doesn't look pretty but they cut like butter after I'm done even on Dymondwood . I sharpen every thing from 1/8" to 1 1/2" gouges , skews , scrapers and parting tools of different sizes .It usually only takes a couple of seconds and I'm back to turning .

its_virgil

There are lots of plans for homemade sharpening jigs that work just as well as the commercial ones. I'll try to put together a list of what I've found and post it here later today, or someone else can if they have it handy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by BogBean
<br />Hi Everyone,
I have been reading this board for about a month and it has been a great help on most of the tools needed for a small wood shop. I could not find much on sharpening. Which sharpening system is the best for a newbie? Thank you for the help...Chuck

dougle40

Greg,
I'm using a well worn 120 grit and eyeballing the angles . One of the beauties of the belt is that it doesn't raise any sort of a burr on the inside faces . Sometimes it will raise a burr on a skew , but I keep a stone handy and just give it a pass or two to remove it .

Ray Dockrey

I also use the Wolverine but I use the slow speed grinder that Woodcraft sells. It comes with the white aluminum oxide wheels and I have had great luck with mine. I believe it is on sale right now also.

dougle40

white aluminum oxide wheels
Do you know that the ONLY place that I found in Canada to find the white aluminum oxide - soft bond wheels was Lee Valley . I did a lot of searches and made a lot of phone calls but no one could help me . So for any of my fellow Canadians out there that are looking for this wheel check out Lee Valley .

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32981&category=1,43072,43080&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID=

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Ray Dockrey
<br />I also use the Wolverine but I use the slow speed grinder that Woodcraft sells. It comes with the white aluminum oxide wheels and I have had great luck with mine. I believe it is on sale right now also.

Ditto. The grinder shakes a bit as it comes up to speed but once it is wound up it is smooth as silk. I am getting good cutting edges using that and the Wolverine so I am going to forego the "wheel balancing system"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom