Sharpening Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

OK, so I bought a lathe and a bunch of chisels from a guy on Craig's list, some of which are very nice. I dont have room for a grinder. What are my choices?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You need some type of 'system' to sharpen nd they all take up some room. A (slow speed) grinder with a Wolverine style jig (bought or homemade) is one of the most common.

If you have a belt sander that can easily be converted to a sharpening system. I've also heard of folks turning their lathe into a disc sander and using that to sharpen.

Woodchipper

You can sharpen by hand with a diamond file. I have the three piece set of DMT diamond files. They are nice and do a great job. I spent a few $$$ and bought a Rikon low speed grinder on sale at Woodcraft. I also bought the Wolverine grinding jig that is mentioned. I wouldn't turn without either one- grinder to shape and take off metal quickly. The diamond files to touch up the edge. Good turning!
My wife keeps asking when I'm going to get a cheap hobby.

Woodchipper

FWIW, I made a disk grinder for the lathe, using a faceplate. The problem is you have to take off the turning and put the FP on the lathe. See #4 for my setup. I keep the grinder on the TS top which is about three steps from the lathe. I can sharpen while turning so I always have a sharp tool. I think if you look real close, you might find room for a grinder.

Hubert H

Jason,

I'm not going to get into what or how to sharpen - however, as time goes on you will learn that sharpening is one of the most important things you will do if you really want to turn nice pens. I have seen people who struggle to turn - it wasn't so much the way they were doing it but it was the tools they were using. Dull tools are one of a turners biggest nightmares.

Russ_Gray

I have a little belt sander that I use for sharpening knives. A good steady hand or rest to keep the angles constant works perfectly for me. Once I hit it on the sander, I run a ceramic stick across it to knock off the burr. Be careful not to overheat the steel and use a light touch with a fine paper. Pressing harder doesn't work better.

The caveat to all of this... It works great for me. I do want to warn you that it does take a bit of practice, so I would start with some cheaper chisels to practice with.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Firebucket53

PSI sharpener

I bought the PSI sharpener. It works great for sanding but is not very good for sharpening. It's hard to hold a tool to get a proper Edge. My advice is spend the money and get a quality sharpening system.

tcrawn

so you are saying you NEVER have to sharpen carbide? Or do you just replace the tips?

JimB

so you are saying you NEVER have to sharpen carbide? Or do you just replace the tips?

When it starts to dull you first rotate the cutter to a fresh edge. When all sides are dulling you then either sharpen them with a diamond hone or you buy and replace the cutter. My experience has been sharpening them is OK.

I started with HSS 9 years ago. A few years ago I bought a set of EWT carbide at an estate sale. I used them for a while but went back to my HSS. I still have the carbide but rarely use them.

Top Bottom