Sharpening Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomG

If I wanted to have my chisels sharpened by a professional ( or someone who nows how and has the means) where would I send them or who would I look up in the yellow pages?

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

My city's yellow pages list several under "Sharpening Service." I would only use them to restore a profile I had hopelessly messed up, though. If you do a lot of turning it would be much cheaper and quicker to invest in a grinder and learn to do them yourself. Your local woodturning chapter may have someone who will do them, and/or teach you how.

ahoiberg

i agree with harry. if you're worried about high quality tools being ruined, shelve them for a while, buy a set of harbor freight lathe tools, a grinder and learn yourself. a misconception i had when i started was that you can't turn with a tool that isn't sharpened EXACTLY as it's supposed to be. i was wrong. provided, i'm sure i'm not getting the best cut possible, but it's nice see your learning advance. i definitely notice a difference now from when i was first sharpening them myself (and it's only been a shade over a month). not only in the form of a smooth bevel, but the shavings are improving.

the harbor freight set is only about $45 and therefore worth the investment in skill learned. 8 tools also.

or if you don't want to bother, you could take them to a local woodturning meeting and i'm sure someone there would be willing to help you out.

TomG

I actually have a grinder just was not sure of the correct grinding stone, angle to hold the chisels, etc. Figured for the amount of pens Im going to turn it might have been just worth having them done. I have a set of chisels from PSI ($60) so not owrried about messing them up.

Tom

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />
Snip

the harbor freight set is only about $45 and therefore worth the investment in skill learned. 8 tools also.

or if you don't want to bother, you could take them to a local woodturning meeting and i'm sure someone there would be willing to help you out.

The HF set are a good set to learn on. They're a little less than $40. Unless you have to mail-order them. Don't forget to take a discount coupon...

HF Windsor tool set.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066

One of the members of the local club invited everyone out Sat 2 weeks ago for a tool sharpening day. Since I had some HF sets I picked up when they were clearancing the other HSS set a few yrs back I took the extra 1", 3/4" and 1/2" skews to get them reshaped into curved skews (Skewchi gouges?). I also learned a great deal about tools from going and asking many hands on tool questions.

ahoiberg

unfortunately, in denver, they can't keep the things on the shelves at HF. so i had to mail order them.

tom, to start sharpening yourself, just go to find a 80 or 100 grit stone to attach to one side of the grinder and when starting out, it's as easy as grind the angle freehand (maybe using your index or index and middle finter to support it and find the bevel angle) and turn it. if you make a mistake, so be it, you can always correct it. and, yes, there's some frustration involved but you will see improvement.

sounds like you're turning a lot? or even if not, the time saved by doing it yourself will reap rewards. especially if you are turning a lot, because a dull tool can be more frustrating then learning the sharpening process. if you've already got the grinder, go for it! plus, i seriously doubt that you'll put the tool in to an unusable state. as long as you're creating some kind of sharp edge on it, you'll be fine for a few minutes at least! [:D]

bmchan

I touch up my chisel a couple of times for each pen. I am not comfortable with my grinding skills yet and I do it freehand. Get a white norton stone and research technique here and elsewhere. Grinding is different for each type of chisel.

TomG

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />Tom, where are you located? If you are anywhere near Va Beach, I'd be happy to help get you started.

Thanks but Im in New Jersey. Really nice of you.

Tom

KenV

A very good video resource is the one sold by American Association of Woodturners from the AAW web pages. (Ed Davidson - YoYoSpin is the web master). The cost is about $25 for non members and $5 less for members. The video shows 4 of the master turners showing what they think is important about sharpening. Well done while showing the difference in style between the different turners. One (Alan Lacer) is a honer. This is a good "tune up" video for those who are not frequent users of grinders, as well as a good reference before you buy a grinder or grinding wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom