Sharpening carbide cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

OK, so my dad used to be a machinist. And he told me that he bought some carbide cutters. He did not need to use them though. All you need to do to sharpen the carbide is take the little bit off, put water on your sharpener.Then it rub back in forth flat on the stone. You will see a black residue come off in the water. When the carbide is shiny it is sharp again. Now this will not be as sharp as a new one out off the package. This only works on carbide cutter that are flat on the top. Ones that are cupped wont work for sharpening. So you can save a bunch of money of carbide tips. So I hope this might save you some money.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

My Grand Dad taught me to not grab a cutting tool by the sharp part unless I was wanting to donate some DNA. Alright, we did not know about DNA back then. Quit laughing! It ain't funny getting old, the alternative is just not acceptable.
Charles

JMCU

Good information, Thanks
My dad gave me some old Craftsman knives with carbide cutters. I was wondering how i could sharpen them as they appear to be fixed to the base metal.

Top Bottom