Sharpening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I was wondering if any one uses a Dremel to sharpening their lathe tools. I just started turning pens and would like to use mine to sharpen my tools. I have the dremel and some accessories. If anyone is sharpening this way could you please send some of your tips my way. Looking for type of accessories you are useing and any jigs that my be helpful. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Not sure how you could get an even edge with a handheld Dremel, unless you could build some kind of a jig.

I use a cheap grinder with a white wheel, and a Wolverine jig.

Doghouse

Our club just received a demo from Sorby as to the use and care of their tools. They recommend to only grind when needed. Between grindings, use a diamond slip stone and flat stone to "wipe" a new sharp edge on there. Since learning that, I have not ground any of my tools in over a week. All now have a mirror finish on the edge and hollow. I am receiving much better surfaces as there are less scratches from the back of the bevel. It has made a fantastic difference in my turnings.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I still grind my gouges, but unless the edge gets knicked my skews are all touched up with a diamond stone... and I agree they end up scary sharp and give a great finish.. my pen sanding has been reduced about 50% or more..
I use the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder with white wheels and a Wolverine jig...
all my skews are reground to a slight curve and I find this really makes a difference.

G

I'll second( or third) the diamond stones.
Handy to keep right by the lathe.
I picked one up at Lowes with 2 grit.
It's yellow and red.I've worn off the grit #'s/
yellow coarse,red fine.
unless you screw up the chisel the diamond stone works real good.

wayneis

I would not use the Dremel but if you are interested in an inexpensive way to get really super sharp tools check out Grizzly Company. Look in their buffing section, at least in their catalog and look for their "Razor Sharp Syatem" Model # G5937. Its a two wheel system that sells for $29.95 and really works. You do need a grinder, preferable a slow speed model. I have thw Wolverine system and I only use it to grind my tools but I use this system inbetween. After I grind with the Wolverine then for about the next 15 or so times that It needs it I just hone with the Razor Sharp System. This gives me super sharp tools and also makes them last a lot longer.

Wayne

tipusnr

I bought that system as well. Not as easy as it sounds. I moved the handle just slightly during honing and got a surface you could shave in - unfortunately not with that tool. I honed the edge right off it and had to start over.

I guess I need to make a tool rest for it to get the angle right.

wayneis

Well Bill, I guess like most everything it takes practice. You didn't give up on it did you? There has been a couple of times that I was not paying attention a rounded the end, off to the grinder. But I still stand by the system as it has served me well, except for the extra band aids that I've went through.

Wayne

PenWorks

Not to change the subject completely, how do you guys sharpen your barrel trimmers. I have the hardest time keeping my sharp. I have tried the grinding wheel & stones, just can't seem to keep an edge. Wayne, do you think that grizly system would work on trimmers? Anthony

Scott

Anthony,

I think the best way to keep a barrel trimmer sharp is to just touch it up regularly with one of those diamond files. I have gone as far as to regrind a barrel trimmer, and it isn't fun!

Scott.

pssmith

I second, third, or fourth the whole WC slow speed grinder with wolverine jig. Has kept my HF chisels very sharp without having to re-sharpen often. One of the other things that I use that I keep at my station is a small paddle out of 1/8" plywood scraps where I use spray adhesion to place a small piece of automotive sandpaper to it. I use this to hone the edges & "touch-up" while turning. I forget the grit but it's up there (maybe 800 or 1000) and allows me to get a nice edge, particularly for the skew chisel.

I also take used ROS circles and wrap them around a 1/2" dowel for gouges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom