Shaping of the Pen Body

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

I am new at this, and have done a number of pens with fairly straight side. I was wondering about the technique for a more complex shape. For example , the Virage pen on exoticblanks.com The shape has a number of curves. Is this done "Freehand". Just trying to learn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

It is mostly done freehand.

If I might suggest is head out into the back yard and pick up a couple pieces of wood lying around and practice on that piece of material that you don't care about till you feel comfortable with making whatever design you want.

I have also seen others make templates of the design they want and measure it against what they have on the lathe.

Mike B

kovalcik

I do my shaping freehand also. That is one of the things I like best about turning. You can let the wood speak to you and just go with whatever looks and feels good. (wow, that sounded much more Zen than I intended.)

Mike had a great suggestion about getting some branches and practice. Make lots of shaivngs and the skills will come.

Dan Masshardt

To my taste, for most pens, a straight pen is a good pen. Including the virage. There are some exceptions - cigar and slimline.

There is no objective right or wrong to the shape. The only 'sin' is to have those ends proud (or under-turned).

Jim Burr

Banned
All freehand, but there are some No-no's!!! My pet peeve is the "Fatlady" slimline. If you want a fatter pen, convert the kit or buy a kit made for wider sizes!!!
Ok...rant done.
Mike has a great point...don't practice on a $12 blank...or $5 for that matter. That isn't to say things never go wrong with those...but there is usually some kind of plan forming about how you want it to look the more it costs. And sometimes even that goes haywire!

rodtod11

All freehand, but there are some No-no's!!! My pet peeve is the "Fatlady" slimline. If you want a fatter pen, convert the kit or buy a kit made for wider sizes!!!
Ok...rant done. !

You know , I didnt want to say it but I cant agree with you more. But, thats why there is variety, let those that want, to do it. For my personal taste, I prefer straight or very gently curved....very gently.

PenPal

It aint over till the fat lady sings, each to his own shaping in designing pens.

I am reminded of The Prissy Ann frog faced Citroen, The English Mayflower, Fiat strange large and small, the new squashed up Mercedes etc each ones has its devotees what floats your boat.

Now we penturners will perhaps never buy your pens leave it to your friends, customers et al to make comment where it really matters at the till drawer.

I joined in a competition one time for Pens for Arthritics.

Then comes the predudices re biro refills colour of ink, gels etc the Art Pencil with 1/4 inch thick lead, teachers pens, wood v plastic, glossy finish v matte, colour of materials there is room for everyone, no norms no demigods in customers.

Have fun I do. Kind regards Peter.

Alzey

It is mostly done freehand.

If I might suggest is head out into the back yard and pick up a couple pieces of wood lying around and practice on that piece of material that you don't care about.....

Mike B

Scrap 2 bys you have laying around work good as well for practice.

healeydays

Folks, I wasn't going to get back into the comments, but after the "Fatlady" slimline comments, I say do whatever you like as it's your kit, blank and lathe.

Some folks like pickups, some folks like sedans, and some like sporty cars. As you can probably tell from my avatar, I like classic sporty lines.

I have seen pens presented here that I wouldn't be caught dead with, but they sell for folks. I have seen pens here with classic looks that folks say they can't give away. My suggestion is do what you like and don't listen to anyone else. And after you do the blank, and you don't like it for any reason, either put it back on the lathe and rework it, or toss it in a corner and forget it.

Mike B

Top Bottom