Seven types of wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was sent a box of wood blanks from Costa Rica(Harold in CR >>>link to his profile<<<). I would highly recommend contacting him to get some of these great pieces of wood!
All wood types turned easily with sharp tooling. Some tear-out happened when I was a little to aggresive with the gouge, but all was fixed with some light passes on the skew. Only one type had some odor, but I believe that was due to the wood being drilled to fast-drill bit heated up and smoked pretty good....haven't tried a slower appoach.
All wood was taken down to size, thin CA soaked into the wood, sanded to 800grit, EEE, three coats of medium CA, MM to 12,000 and then Plastix polished. Do not blame the finished product on the wood......

Wood types:
#1: Aquacato
#2: Madera Negro
#3: Colo Olo
#4: Ojoche
#5: Taramindo
#6: Pilon
#7: Guana Caste
(Photo doesn't have the wood in this order)

Must admit, my favorite is Aquacato followed cloely by Guana Caste! Do yourself a favor, order some of this stuff before he finds out how valueable it is!!!

Group photo:
groupphotoHaroldinCR.jpg

Scott (fun times) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

From left to right:
Taramindo / Aquacato / Pilon / Ojoche / Coco Olo / Madera Negro / Guana Caste

I think? Hal, can you verify this for me??

Scott (took the tags off for the photo) B

Harold in CR

OK. Really nice job, huh guys ? :cool:

Left to Right
1. Coco Olo
2. Ojoche' (also comes with red mixed throughout.)
3. Pilo'n
4. Madera Negro
5. Tamarindo
6. Aguacate'
7. Guana Caste

I have many other colors and hardness, including Spalts. NONE of my Spalts are soft-punky, unless asked for. None of the above pens have softwood. They range from Semi hard to very hard.

Wait till y'all see the Crotch and compression wood pieces, along with just swirly grain. :wink::biggrin::biggrin:

Probably, Scott had the "odor" from drilling the Tamarindo and Madera Negro. They are the hardest. I'm trying to get photos of all the different types and colors, so Y'all can pick and choose. I also am going to offer a variety pack, similar to what I sent Scott.

Those that returned responses to my packages, were pleased with the wood. The colors are difficult to get perfect on the computers, so, you have to be a slight bit lenient on the colors shown. I doubt anyone will be dis-satisfied, especially at the price of $1.75 per piece + S&H.

I will also offer Pieces for Tree Ornaments or Bottle Stoppers, Shaving Brush Handles, whatever someone wants, within reason.

I will take Paypal or check. Once funds received, I will send product. The pkgs I mailed to several places in the USA, took $12.00-$17,00 just for mailing, according to the weight.

I would love to get enough orders to allow me to fly to Florida, with ALL orders, and 2 large Bags of other pieces, so I can offer better mail rates. Of course, the price per piece will go to $2.00 then. :rolleyes::rolleyes::):)

I would like to thank Scott, Dudley, Ken, and Burt, that sent photos of their work, to try to help me get this going. I was sanding a piece the other day, and caught my thumb in the head stock piece, and ripped the half off the thumb. :eek::eek:

No turning for me for a few days. Hope y'all like the wood. :wink::)
Harold

SDB777

Another good lot of pens!
Wood is very cool!
Great fit and finish as always and amazing pic!

Andrew

I'd love to say thanks, but there are a few defects on my finishes. But don't let that take away from the wood.

Had to get a stand built for the new light tent to hold the clamp lights, so while at the HomeDepot I picked up some 65W 'daylight bulbs'. Seems to have made a great difference in the amount of post-processing that is necessary to get the background the proper color(white) and not turn the wood into something it wasn't!

Hoping to see this wood in the classifieds soon!

Scott (lots of character, like me) B

rogerpjr

I would be interested in an assortment of blanks for both pens (std size and larger size) and bottle stoppers. Let me know when you have photos and prices available.

David Keller

Nice looking pens and beautiful woods... Must resist Costa Rican woods... Wife will kill me if I order more wood.

Harold in CR

I need assistance. My PhotoShop won't allow me to place multiple photos on one page.

I even did a download of a patch to add it to my program. Didn't work. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone here know how to do multiple photos on one page, so I can get this show on the road ?? All programs down here are in Spanish, so, I need to find a way in English.

Thanks for any assistance, Harold

ctubbs

In PS 7, under "File" go to 'Automate'. There you can chose photos by drag and drop or file name to populate a variety of page formats.
Charles

Harold in CR

Thanks. I have Photoshop 5.0 It doesn't have that photo package option. I did the download to get that option, but, it didn't open that option for me ?? Maybe I put the download in the wrong place ??

Top Bottom