Setting up shop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So I currently have access to a full wood shop, well equipped (complete with dust) and ready to go in Central Texas. However, I'm getting ready to move to Oregon where I'm likely going to spend a few months out of the year and I'm trying to setup a secondary shop there. I'm not sure where I'll setup yet, but I'm going to assume I won't have a dedicated building and it will be in one side of a garage, or a corner of a large basement..... something not HORRIBLY confined but still not what you'd call spacious. I've got a lathe already, a Rikon Mini Lathe. I also want to add a bench-top bandsaw with a good balance of capacity (size) and precision so I can substitute it (to some degree) for a scroll saw. I want to allocate space for one more larger floor standing or bench-top tool, then the rest will have to be hand tool/portable. All this said, what bench-top or small floor standing bandsaw would people recommend for a few hundred dollars and what third large tool would be a good addition...... this is MOSTLY for pens tho I'm sure other small projects will take place.

Thanks.

P.S. - I think with the right attachments I can do most of my drilling related things ON the lathe, so if you list a drill press as the third tool... really sell it:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Do you have a disc sanding attachment for your lathe? Maybe a nice disc/belt sander as the third machine, although I'm not sure how you define large? I use mine plenty for squaring up blanks...

burr

This doesnt have anything to do with the tools you need but what part of Oregon are you coming to?

gr8danish

I would recommend either the Delta or Jet 10" band saws. The Delta is REALLY basic, but it's rock solid. The Jet is pretty slick (laser guide, built in work light, etc...), but it's made overseas.

For the third machine I would definitely get a disk /belt sander combo. Mine has been INVALUABLE. I picked up a Hitachi from Lowes when they were discontinuing the model for $99 (orig $299). I literally use it everyday. It's very stable, and fairly accurate.

If you have the room, a mill / drill combo is a KILLER addition to the list IF you are making kit-less pens. I haven't even touched my drill press since I got mine. I found a used older JET for $450, converted the motor to 120 and cleaned the snot out of it. Now it's awesome! Lets me do pretty much anything I think of, and probably more that I haven't imagined yet ;) Awesome for indexing, inlays, and more. I even started milling my tiles for herringbones on it, and they come out DEAD-NUTS even every time. Now if I could just get them glued up as straight.... :)

MatthewZS

Most likely Beaverton, but someone just in the Portland Metro area. I lived there for over 10 years.

I thought about a belt/disk sander. I can get a disk sander attachment for the lathe, but I use the belt quite a bit too.... hmmm

Hadn't thought about a mill instead of a DP..... would have to be a cheap one.... money I mean not quality..... I know, I Know...

I don't know that I'll have room for a table saw, but a chop saw could be doable. I don't use the table saw much unless I'm building something larger.... which is very seldom... and I don't use the chop saw much more than that..... but I can see where I MIGHT get to using the chop saw more and it would be handy.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom