Setting up a new shop...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allen_m

This question started off in introductions... please, pardon the re-post; but,

First, let me say I have never used a lathe or made a pen in my life. I have USED many pens! :) I am handy with tools; having restored a few vintage motorcycles; but, otherwise a complete newbie.

Specifically, I would like to learn to make fountain pens, including pen bodies made from aluminum, as well as closed end pens with threads cut directly in the cap and body material…

As such, I have chosen a lathe I feel may be suitable, the HiTorque 7x12 from LittleMachineShop.com… http://littlemachineshop.com/4100 (It is a variant of the SIEG SC2)

This lathe cuts threads down to 4 tpi which I am guessing may be helpful… Not sure if it is possible on this equipment; but, I'd like to eventually be able to cut multi-lead threads, too. Being full of motorcycles, the shop has definite space limitations; so, bigger may not be better for me; moreover, as a newbie, I don't want to go too crazy in terms of spending until I verify that I have the knack for actually doing this type of work.

Surely, I would learn on a large variety of materials without attempting the more difficult materials first. I am a bit impatient; but, have a lot of time on my hands.

Not knowing much about all of this, I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to share their expertise…

First, Is this a suitable choice for a lathe? If not, what alternative would be more suitable? When turning wood (or acrylic, etc…) on a metal lathe, do you replace the tool post with a rest for hand tools?

What is the best available guide for learning? I have seen numerous DVD's etc.

TIA,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Do you have a few years to learn?

Having a a lathe does not make you a machinist, knowing the difference between a Motorcycle and a Fountain Pen is very helpfull.

Keep on going. It only takes a few years.

Norbert

Kent Lake Pens & Pencils

allen_m

Having a a lathe does not make you a machinist, knowing the difference between a Motorcycle and a Fountain Pen is very helpful...
I would not disagree...
Check out the Library here at IAP it has all kinds of information...http://www.cedarcreekcustompens.com
Thank you- I am off to browse it now!
I did; however, while less money, it didn't seem to turn threads as coarse as the newer model (which is also quite a bit heavier and perhaps hardier...)- I thought that might me a helpful feature...

Thanks to all...

bluwolf

If your interest in threading is primarily because you want to make your own pens there's a much easier way, especially if you want to do multi start threads. Using taps and dies are much quicker and have a much shorter learning curve.

You only need a couple of tools, whether using a metal or wood lathe, to do threading for pens. Both are available at LMS where you've been looking at metal lathes, as well as other places.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2314&category=

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1963&category=

If you spend some time reading on the site you'll find out that there have been a few group buys for multi start tap and die sets. Check out the Advanced Penturning forum, lots of info there about all this.There is also a thread in the Casual Conversation forum about starting a metal lathe forum.

You might also consider keeping your eyes open on places like Craigslist. A couple of members local to me recently bought 7x lathes. One got a 7x12 another got a 7x16. Both were in excellent shape. One looked like it had never been used. I sold my 7x12 to another local member so I could buy a bigger one. Then there's the cost of tooling for the lathe. There's a joke that they should be giving the machines away because they make so much money on the tooling.

You said you hadn't done that much research. My advice, and worth exactly what you paid for it, is do a lot more research before spending your money:biggrin:

spilperson

Let me just put in a plug for my lathe:

http://www.boltonhardware.com/categ...ead-metal-lathe-with-stand-coolant-system.php

It is more money and more room, but as someone else said, you have to consider the cost of tooling, too.

I have also bought a milling machine from these guys, and I have been happy with both. The machines are just chinese imports, but plenty stout for a home hobby shop. The folks at Bolton give great service, too. For my lathe, I bought a bunch of accessories, and we negotiated a good discount.

For turning pens, I use my regular carbide tipped metal cutting tools to get to the basic diameter, then use a rasp and file to get the shape I want. It works for me.

Top Bottom