Set display boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

I need a display box to put a set in. The set includes aeuro pen, pencil, letter openr and a pipe tamper. Who has the nicest box with a glass top? I will probably order the one from PSI but was looking for something with a black lining.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Larry (and others reading this)

To "customize" a presentation box, go to local Home Depot type store and buy styrofoam insulation (half-inchish). Make a template for your layout of the pieces (pens, letter openers, mag glasses - oh and pipe tamper, of course[:0][:0]) Then use a round nose router bit to form the styrofoam as you wish.

Finish by gluing down a piece of velvet or felt (spray contact glue, available where you buy your cloth - of course you ARE familiar with the fabric section of your local WalMart - that's where you buy the $1 a yard rag stock!!)

Try it, looks pretty good when completed

ElMostro

Ed, when you say "styrofoam" do you mean that white stuff used for packing? Can you route that cleanly> Never tried it so before I do just want to make sure I understand what styrofoam you are talking about.

Thanks, Eugene

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am referring to the white (or pink) stuff used for insulating homes. Comes in half-inch to 2 inch thickness (In the frozen tundra) and will rout very cleanly - sharp bit - round-nose.

The most difficult part is positioning and holding the template so it doesn't move while routing.

Then, make the material look good (few wrinkles as you fill the relieved spots)

Texatdurango

Speaking of flocking....

I made a few pen displays and flocked them with the material you get from Woodcraft and am not really satisfied.

I liberally applied the colored glue per instructions then using the tube flocking sprayer, covered the entire area then let it sit for 24 hrs.

After 24 hours I tapped off the excess and had a nicely covered display BUT... it was scratchy rather than soft. So scratchy that I don't use it and have gone back to using crushed velvet instead.

Anyone have any suggestions or is everyone just putting up with scratchy flocking?

ElMostro

The key to flocking is flocking in one direction. I will clarify: flock from the left or from the right at an angle; not from the top or from several directions. What this does is allow the fibers to to fall facing a general direction. It kind-a creates a "with the grain and accross the grain" feeling. Like petting a cow. Also, IF you aaply too much of the sticky stuff the fibers will soak it up and you will get that "scratchy" feeling. I use a big plastick tub to put the item I am flocking in, that way I can over-flock and collect the excess once it dries.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ElMostro

...Also, IF you aaply too much of the sticky stuff the fibers will soak it up and you will get that "scratchy" feeling. I use a big plastick tub to put the item I am flocking in, that way I can over-flock and collect the excess once it dries.
Thanks for the suggestion. I asked the Woodcraft employee who said he had done many flocking projects and he said you can't put too much glue on. Obviously he was wrong! I'll try blowing in one direction next time.

I put a large clear plastic bag in a large box and create an opening large enough to see what I am doing. When finished I just lift the bag and collect all the overspray for re-use.

jwoodwright

A little trick I learned about flocking is to use a vibrating, commonly called palm sander. No paper. The idea is it gets all the flocking to stand up after you've applied the flocking.

I tried it on a jewelry box, worked fine. I only used enough colored glue to cover the wood... Worked great. Let it sit for 24 hrs...

Top Bottom