A Serious Suggestion for All

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

I learned early on from a mistake a fellow turner made during a class he was teaching. This poor soul dropped a plastic storage case in which he had placed ALL his bushings for the numerous pens he turned regularly.

Well, as his luck would have it, the case opened up and every bushing flew all over the shop floor. Talk about a mess... I believe he spent the rest of the day and several days in addition sorting out the bushings and trying to get them all back in proper order.

I watched him - and helped him - as he picked up all the various bushings from the floor. What a task he had in front of him. I immediately decided that I would dedicate a plastic case to each pen kit I ever intended to make. I also dedicate a mandrel to each kit's storage case upon which I keep my bushings mounted on.

So far everything is working perfect for me with this "idea." I have dropped two of the cases and I have NOT had a problem that was not solved in less than 30 seconds of less.

The cases I am using are made by Plano and they have numerous adjustable openings inside. I have found them readily available at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods/fishing department. Bass Pro Shops also sells them but their cost is a bit more. For the cost of the cases and the problem they have solved for me I highly recommed the use of the individual cases.

If you are lucky and can find the cases in a "cabinet" that holds four cases that would be the better way to go. I am always a day late and a dollar short in getting one of these so good luck to ya!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Might be a reasonable solution if you are only doing one or three kits; but probably serious overkill when you get up to 10 or 15 or 20 different kits. This topic has been pretty well hashed over and lots of good suggestions have been made. Do a search of the forum for "bushing storage" and you should come up with a lot of good information.

Malainse

Do not drop the case....[:D] Been there and done that....

Just put each set of bushings in one of the small zip lock bags that kit parts come in..... Label it and put in the tackle box with all the others...

Boomer

I have also put all of my kit parts seperately in a Plano type case and even though there are several boxes with different kits in them I have enjoyed the fact that everything you might need for an individual pen etc. is in one container. One thing that I do also is keep a complete kit in the zip lock bag with the part number together in this kit so when I want to order more parts instead of looking through the catalogs I can just pull out the complete kit and order more kits.

Dave

leatherjunkie

I nailed a plastic storage bin case to the board behind my lathe.
I store the bushings in each bin labeled with the pen name is.

I have spare tubes for each pen stored in a similar storage bin on my bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom