Seprating bushings from pen after CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I know this is a issue the little bubble up but my pens are cracking and I am wondering if it is because how I take off the bushings. I usally use about 10 coats of CA and then force the bushings side to side to crack them off, does this sound right.

I ave tried cutting with a razor balde and other stuff but have been unsucessful. What is the best way to remove the bushings after many coates of CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

from watching a video on u tube about ca finish i learned that you can remove the bushings before finishing and coat them with some kinda paste wax and then re set the blank in the bushings and finish. I try this and it seems to work ok.

rwyoung

I've been waxing the bushings (Johnson's Paste Wax and a few times just some hard parifin) which seems to work fine. A few cases the glue seems to have grabbed at the shoulder of the bushing. Instead of a parting tool I used a razor knife and just scored the joint. Snapped away clean. Acrylic is brittle so once you score it, it should crack along the score line, like cutting glass.

hewunch

I recommend delrin bushings too. I have some listed on the individual classifieds if you are interested.

Chasper

I apply CA between centers, no bushings involved. I do get a little CA on my center points at times but not enough to adhere them to the ends of the tubes.

GoodTurns

as Chasper does, I use CA between centers (when I use CA :wink:) I keep a roll of painter's tape near the lathe and wrap the tips of the centers before I CA, then I can peel it off the centers when done...

Tn-Steve

I use my parting tool, but I do it with the lathe off... just turn it by hand and then I can break that bond. I then loosen up the thumbdisk(?) to take the pressure off the bushings, and give them each a good "WACK" with a metal rod. Seems to snap them off clean and crisp.

Just my .02

Steve
www.TwoCatsPens.com

skywizzard

I use just a touch of Ren wax on the ends of the blank before applying CA. This has completely eliminated the problem of bushing adhering to the blank.

GouletPens

I have been using the scoring method, I use the toe of a skew. I have run into a couple of problems lately, though so I may look for alternate methods. I square up the ends after breaking them off the bushings with an exacto knife or the sanding method others have described.

Misterturner

Whenever I've experienced this, I remove the blank with the bushings attached and grab one of the bushing with needle nose pliers while holding the blank in my hand. By pulling it straight out (maybe with a slight twisting motion) I figure that I am not distorting the shape of the end of the tube. You do have to make sure that your pliers aren't going to mar your bushings.

Jason

I was using the wax the issue is not the bushing sticking to the blank but the CA built up on the bushing from the blank. basically trying to get a clean break there. Anyhow there are some good sugestion I will try some.

rherrell

attachment.jpg

This is how I cured that problem. Homemade Delrin centers and a revolving tailstock.

Attachments

• iap.jpg
    iap.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom