Separating abalone shell?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Bought an abalone shell and I'm trying to figure out how to get the abalone off of the course porous shell. I thought I would be able to just slide an exacto knife in there and get some pieces, but no way! Has anyone done this that would share a technique with me? Thanks

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

The outer part of the shell has to be either Ground or sanded away, BUT BE CAREFUL, only do this under running water, and wearing a GOOD respirator, A Lapidary grinder works best for this. Please keep in mind the Dust is Lethal m unfortunately it takes quite a while to kill, I believe the disease is called Fibrosis or Silicosis, Both are quite painful.
Here is a link to a place that sells it already in thin sheets, Search Results, By far the best way to go. But Abalone tastes Sooo Good. I miss diving for it in California.

WIDirt

But Abalone tastes Sooo Good. I miss diving for it in California.

OMG, I am with you on this one. When I was a Boy Scout, the whole troop took diving lessons and the instructor refused to pass us until we had tried Abalone. I would not eat any kind of shellfish at the time because it looked so nasty. I finally caved and tried it. Now, the only shellfish I can't eat is oysters. I tried, but, well, they won't stay down.

Our first trip to Santa Catalina Island netted about 80 shells. We went back as a scout troop 13 times, for a week at a shot. Of course, I wasn't a scout for all those trips, but as my Dad's boat was one that went, and I had experience driving it on the ocean, I got to tag along and dive! We collected enough shells to line the planter along the back fence with them. I am talking hundreds here. They all went when my parents sold the house 9 years ago......

Regretfully, I made a stupid mistake on one of those trips and ruptured both eardrums on a 230 foot free dive to the ocean floor. Now, I can detect a 30 elevation change on land and underwater, 10 feet. At 25 foot depth, I am in agony.

I wish I could go back to Catalina and get more, 'cause it is @$!#ed expensive in a store!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There are 2 forms of abalone sold. Much of what you see on pen blanks is from thin veneers which are made from flakes mixed with glue. If you use these, it usually requires casting over. You can also buy the thicker stuff ground from shell which can be used as the finished surface. Both look very nice but give a different appearance. I get mine from Luthiersupply.com Great people to deal with. I think there are even some photos of the grinding process on their website. Note they do wear masks and grind in water.

MartinPens

Fantastic! I'm going to ditch the shell attempt. Not really worth the effort/risk. Thanks a bunch. So glad I inquired prior to diving in. I must be getting wise in my old age.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Jim Smith

You can also get nice abalone shell material from mudhole.com where they sell it for use in building fishing rods. It comes in several different colors/sizes cut very thin with an adhesive backing. You use a heat gun to soften it to wrap it around the blank. They are great folks to do business with.

MicroFlex

Jim Smith

Rick P

I too am a BIG fan of Abalone! Used to dive for it in California and once, some times twice a year the tide is low enough to collect in Alaska's pan handle. Folks think I am nuts but I am seriously thinking about putting on the wet suit and going for them this summer! Just not sure its worth the flight down. We have tons of wild edibles closer to home that are exposed for collecting at low tide. Gumboots and mussels to razor and butter clams!

Last edited:

plano_harry

There are 2 forms of abalone sold. Much of what you see on pen blanks is from thin veneers which are made from flakes mixed with glue. If you use these, it usually requires casting over. You can also buy the thicker stuff ground from shell which can be used as the finished surface. Both look very nice but give a different appearance. I get mine from Luthiersupply.com Great people to deal with. I think there are even some photos of the grinding process on their website. Note they do wear masks and grind in water.

These shells appear too thick and fragile to bend. Are you slicing them and bonding to your tubes? Or can you score the backs and bend them?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

These shells appear too thick and fragile to bend. Are you slicing them and bonding to your tubes? Or can you score the backs and bend them?
These do not bend. I slice them and bond to tubes.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Bruce. I have seen comments on other threads regarding slitting blades on a lathe mandrel. What are you using for the slicing?
I have an old slow speed metalurgical diamond wet saw I use with a .009" thick blade I get from Dads Rock Shop. Its a very slow process for me, but I'm never in a rush. You can also get them precut from STEWMAC.COM : Paua Abalone Purfling

Top Bottom