Selling Pens 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grub32

I was curious to find out what types of pens you guys and gals sell the most of??

I am making a lot of American Fountain and Roller ball pens from Woodcraft and cigars. Are those good sellers?

grub32

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Hey Grub,

Not sure which pen the American fountain and rollerball is but if it's the one with metal to metal threads (Woodcraft #123101), I would try to sell a few before buying more.

When I started turning pens I made a lot of Sierras, Atlas', and the "Classic American Style Rollerball" Pens.

The Atlas and Sierra pens turned out to be very popular but the American Style pens didn't sell at all, and I still have all of them today, several of which are being used around the house and shop!

When you place them next to other kits such as the Barons or Jr Gents, you will see why they aren't good sellers! After a few times taking the cap on and off and posting the cap, the metal threads start scratching the black coated parts and they look horrible.

This is, of course, just one persons opinion!

grub32

You are exactly right...that is one of the problems I am having with them...they write really nicely but that does happen!! So the sierras and atlas's sell well? I will have to give them a shot!!

Thanks,

Grub32

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by grub32

So the sierras and atlas's sell well? I will have to give them a shot!!

Thanks,

Grub32

So far, not for me. The best sellers for me have been European, Cigar, Perfect Fit, Baron and Jr Gent II.

igran7

Grub, The above posts are correct about the American fountain and rollerballs. I have several laying around the house that I can't give away. My biggest lower price range sellers are the European, Sierra, & Cigar. Jr. Gentlemen's and Gentlemen's for mid range. Statesman & Emperor sells big for higher range.

Russianwolf

Don't forget the lowly slimline. I'm actually going to start replacing the Euro with a modified slimline as they are a much easier turn without the centerband.

Rudy Vey

Don't make these anymore, metal-to-metal threads are bad for shirt or pant pockets - ask me why!!
Sierra is my bestselling ball point right now, followed by PFC. On the RB/FP side I do Retros, Statesman Jr, Baron and they sell all pretty good. You got to find your market and see what you can sell there.
When I started, SL and FT were my best sellers, but I made only these then.....

For your second question, you tell us!

Texatdurango

Originally posted by grub32

You are exactly right...that is one of the problems I am having with them...they write really nicely but that does happen!! So the sierras and atlas's sell well? I will have to give them a shot!!

Thanks,

Grub32
Grub, Remember that the rollerball inside is what's doing the writing. It's the same rollerball that's in half a dozen nicer kits so don't hinge your decisions on how it writes.

Actually every two part rollerball kit I make uses the same refills. Schneider, Hauser, Schmidt...they are all the same size and eventually you will end up with some of all of them.

Keep in mind when folks are telling you what sells the best USUALLY is based on what they make. I would try a few of each kit to see what YOU enjoy making. TO me, that's just as important, if not more than picking a popular style.

Take me for example, I have never made a cigar pen so wouldn't have a clue as to how they would sell where I live and show pens. I did however take some pens to lunch with ex-co workers and the ladies ate the little Atlas pens up, the next lunch they chose the Sierras, go figure!

grub32

The kewl about this is that I like making them all. I love turning the wood into something beautiful and functional...I would like to be able to make all types of pens in every blank, but thats not really feasible. I am working on a webpage to see some of my pens and other things that I make. Once I get that online, I will be able to market better. That will help. I am a teacher, therefore my ability to interact and sell to professionals in low at the workplace, but the kids REALLY like them :D

Thanks for all the comments, every post is making me a better pen maker!!

Grub32

Buzz

I was just saying in another thread about the Sierra that there is no easier pen to make and assemble. It sells really well, and while the kits are obviously more expensive than a slimline, they sell for more than twice the price and, with its single barrel, is even easier to make.

A good pen to have in your collection.

Dan_F

Don't forget the Sierra Vista. It has a little more girth than the regular Sierra, but is not as rotund as the Cigar. It's the most comfortable pen ballpoint I've found yet, fills that void betweeen the others and the Cigar quite nicely. I just hope enough people make them that the kit stays in production.

Dan

Top Bottom