Self Coloring of Blanks - Cheaply!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-turners

Alright--- you guys got me thinking a little out of the box so I swung by Ben Franklin Crafts today and they had something that sparked my interest in the bargain bin. The blank below is Curly Maple colored with FW Acrylic Artists Ink. I got a bunch of bottles at $.99 a piece and this is just the first of one of the blanks I turned with it. I just rubbed it on after sanding and let it dry about 5 minutes, and finished with FP and RenWax. Seemed to turn out pretty good although I think I'll try thinning it a bit next time. Also -don't get it on your fingers because even acetone wouldn't take this stuff off!!!!

200522485130_TRUEBLUE.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Chris... since that is an acrylic does it thin with water... and also did you notice any of it coming off when you applied the finish... I find that the Chestnut alcohol based dyes come off a bit when finishing

bassman00

Chris - The color looks great. I'm also interested your answers to Tom's questions. Does the ink penetrate deeply into the wood? Have you tried mixing colors?

Thanks,

ryannmphs

Cool, I may have to try some of that. I just did a Letter opener and dyed it blue with a sharpie, worked great and had good penetration.

Ryan

woodscavenger

Can you give us an endgrain shot to show us the penetration? This looks much better as far as price goes to some of the other coloring options. Thanks for the experimentation.

jdavis

Great color and I like the price. Waiting to hear what FW stands for. Good turning job. We put blue sharpie on a piece of maple the other day and the students liked it. Keep turning and thanks for to experiment.

leehljp

Member Liaison
FW is a brand name:
http://www.discountart.com/store/FWacrylicartistink.html
and here
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/668/art-supplies/4

I would like to know what "FP" is.

pen-turners

Originally posted by bassman00
<br />Chris - The color looks great. I'm also interested your answers to Tom's questions. Does the ink penetrate deeply into the wood? Have you tried mixing colors?

Thanks,

PaulD,
The ink does not penetrate very deeply. Probably because I just wiped it on with a paper towel much like staining. It is thin enough that I bet it would soak in if needed but I found the color rich enough without needing to soak it.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom