Segmenting with Soft Metals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

Just curious if there is a tutorial that I did see about working with soft metals on the lathe. I'm inspired by many to try and step up my skills by adding a few pieces of copper or aluminum into my pen designs.

I'm not sure how this process works and what tools/accessories I would need to do so.

Any input or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

Here is an example of something I interested in attempting ....

1_30_Pieces_of_Silver.jpg

Credit to Leehljp for sharing

Last edited:

kronewi

I remember reading one. If I can find it I will give you the information. I do remember specifically one warning in it though. You must resist the natural tempation to check roundness and smoothness of the blank with your hand like we often do. The metal could cause you significant harm.

-Kevin

Dana Fish

I guess my concern is how easy are these material to turn and other then sharp tools in there anything else that is needed to turn them up?

MarkD

There was a post just yesterday regarding drilling of brass used in segmenting. You should read that post.

I have turned brass segments with HSS tools but you need to keep them sharp. It's much easier now that I have a Pen Pro carbide tool.

kronewi

Yes, that is only other information I have been able to find is that it is hard on your chisels. You will need to sharpen them often.

Top Bottom