Segmenting with Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
font=Verdana]I have some beautiful pieces of Corian - various colors - thanks to airrat. I want to glue some contrasting colors together . . . It may be a dumb question. What kind of glue do I use to put them together? Will CA work "stand up?" [/font=Verdana]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimjonespa48

I have made numerous pens using CA glue ups of Corian. I clamp them together for about an hour before moving on to make a pen blank. So far they are holding up fine. Epoxy will work well also, just takes a little more patience.

I have some beautiful pieces of Corian - various colors - thanks to airrat. I want to glue some contrasting colors together . . . It may be a dumb question. What kind of glue do I use to put them together? Will CA work "stand up?" [/font=Verdana]
[/quote]

jahlg

Do not use a 5 min epoxy on them, it will not hold up, if you clamp the pieces tightly then wick thin ca it will hold up nicely.

Gulfcoast

CSUE---

CA is an excellent adhesive for Corian, it is one of the adhesives used by the solid surface (Corian, etc) counter top fabricators.
I have made many pens and stands from Corian using CA with great success.
The surfaces to be adhered should be flat, parallel and clean. I use alcohol to wipe down the surfaces, removing any dust and it prepares the surface for the CA; and as mentioned, clamp the surfaces together.

Joe

Gulfcoast

CSUE--

A PS--

I have applied the CA both ways, wicking the CA after clamping the Corian pieces, and coating the Corian with CA prior to clamping them together. I have been successful both ways, but tend to coat most of the time, even though it is a little more "messy". I think that having the surfaces flat, parallel and clean are the critical elements.

Joe

barrels

Joe,

What does wicking the CA glue mean? I have been doing corian as of late and i use reg. CA but the peson i bought my first corian snet a bottle of wicked CA glue.

Eric[:I]

Gulfcoast

ERIC --

After you clamp the Corian together thin CA is run along the mating edges of the two pieces, by capillary action ("wicking") the CA will (should) form a bond.

FRANK --

Have you tried coating the Corian with a thicker CA and then clamping the pieces together?, gives you a little more time to align the pieces and assures good CA coverage.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom