Segmenting Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

After work today I played around with some scraps and a ton of CA glue. This is what I came up with. I'm out of pen kits right now cuz I'm broke, so thisn' doesn't even have a tube, just glued a couple peices of plywood to each end and turned it between centers, no finish. The CC cocobolo cut suprisingly well with a skew. Picture this on a Statesman or something nice and big.

This cheered me up a bit after my recent failures to use CA finishing. Sooo many wasted slimlines.

Any comments are appreciated!

Oh, and note the crusted CA on my fingers... I was sanding down a blank on a horizontal belt sander when my hand slipped, jamming my index finger onto the belt and pulling it sideways. I jumped back and shook my finger before looking at it, expecting it to be sanded down to the bone. But nope, just the CA had been taken off, and a bit of fingernail.
I've lost a fingertip or two, nails, etc. it's no fun. Actually I just finished regrowing the fingernail the handheld belt sander took off, took 6 months.

Cheers guys! (I'm havin a fresh homebrew:))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like that, Ryan, especially the segmented band across the top of the barrel. You mentioned that you used cocobolo and other scraps. Any idea what the other scraps are?

darrylm

looks cool ryan. Those small pieces that you've got sandwiched between the coco, assuming they are pie shaped, what angle did you go with? I've started working on a couple new jigs to cut 5 and 10 degree segments which come out quite small.

RMB

Most of the peices that I did sand where just by hand on a peice of 150grit paper, others where glued up straight off the tablesaw. I half assumed it would explode on the lathe, so I didn't put too much effort into sanding.

As to the small alternating bits, they're not actually pie shaped. I took a 3/4x5 Kiatt blank, set the TS at 45deg, ran that on each corner to make a maltese cross shape, then ran it at 90deg through the middle of each side. Insert 1/8" strips of Padauk, then I have 5" of pinstriped blank pretty quickly. I guess the only drawback is that depending on the diameter you turn to, there might be more or less of either color.

What kind of sanding jig would you propose Chuck? I have a jig that'll square the end of a peice to 90deg.

Gots to go now, the LOML is getting antsy.

Top Bottom