segmenting acrylic/wood, kit selection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

epigolucky

Good evening guys,

Need some coaching on creating a wood/acrylic segmented blank. Sorry if it is long winded :).

Background - Cousin's husband is becoming the CO of his Naval squadron this fall. I picked up 2 of the USS N. Carolina teak pen blanks and I am planning on making him a pen as a gift with his name, call sign, and squadron engraved.

Since I go follow the motto 'anything worth doing is worth overdoing'. I did some research and on the tail fins of his squadrons fighter planes there is a yellow and black stripe across the top.

My idea is to segment a yellow and black strip of acrylic either at the end of the blank or at a 45 degree angle on an end of the blank. Is this doable? And what should I use to affix the wood and acrylic together? I typically use CA for tubes and such, but don't know if I should use another product?

I'm also trying to decide what type of kit would be good for an occasion like this. I'm leaning towards a fountain pen, but I haven't made this leap yet and I have heard all sorts of things about tuning the nib type, etc.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks everyone for their time in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
What ever he can use that would be appropriate. Find Scott Lincoln, he makes the best engraved blanks for military...I have one myself that was done to order...and darn inexpensive too.

Cwalker935

I have made several pens where I have angle cut and segmented in acrylic. Its pretty easy. Just make sure your cuts are smooth and sanded flat. Glue the segments together with CA and hit with an accelerator. You might want to glue to stripes of wood on a small board at an 90 degree angle to help you hold flat while gluing. Use wax paper on your board so that you do not get the CA on it. Depending on the type of saw that you are using, you might need to make a little jig for cutting the segments.

epigolucky

I have made several pens where I have angle cut and segmented in acrylic. Its pretty easy. Just make sure your cuts are smooth and sanded flat. Glue the segments together with CA and hit with an accelerator. You might want to glue to stripes of wood on a small board at an 90 degree angle to help you hold flat while gluing. Use wax paper on your board so that you do not get the CA on it. Depending on the type of saw that you are using, you might need to make a little jig for cutting the segments.

Thanks! Is there anything I should be aware of when turning the wood/acrylic blank? How about sanding? I'm planning on a CA finish.

walshjp17

Adam,

Having spent many years in US Navy aviation squadrons and having served under several COs, may I make a few observations/suggestions:

I do like the idea of using USS NC Teak blanks. However, aviators are sometimes loathe to have anything to do with the surface Navy. The USS NC was a battleship which is the epitome of a surface ship. Aviators are known as 'brown shoes' while surface Navy officers and enlisted mean are known as 'those G-D black shoes'. So, be warned if he sniffs at the surface Navy wood on the pen as a 'black shoed compliment' :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

Obviously a lot has changed from when I was on active duty, but most aviation COs use red ink in their pens to distinguish their initials from mere plebians so the reader would immediately turn-to and accomplish whatever the red ink told them to do.:hammer:

While on liberty (time off in a port of call way far away from your home port) some aviators have been known to quaff a few adult beverages, some a lot more than others :eek::eek: A fountain pen in the hands of an aviator suffering from the side effects of one too many adult beverages could be seen as a lethal weapon by local gendarmes. Caution is invited here. Mayhaps you should opt for a dull Schmidt RB refill.

Obviously all of the above is an attempt at a modicum of humor -- at the expense of USN aviators. It takes a special person to be selected for command of a squadron and all family and friends should rightly be proud of such an accomplishment. The gift of the pen you are proposing will be warmly received and cherished.

I recommend putting the yellow and black stripes at an angle to the represent speed of the aircraft.

Good luck,

jpw

BSea

I'd skip the accelerator if you use PR. It can make Poly resin blanks gummy. They'd probably still be usable, but they'd be messy. I don't think accelerator does that to alumilite though. If you want to use accelerator, you might test it on a piece of the acrylic you want to use 1st.

Steve Busey

Adam, I just made a little gift box for a bottle stopper, with 4 sides of wood and 2 sides of acrylic. I tried thick CA to hold it together, but it was too brittle and came apart easily. Then I tried one with 5 minute epoxy and it held great. Something to consider with mixed material segmenting.

image-3289532672.jpg

epigolucky

Adam, I just made a little gift box for a bottle stopper, with 4 sides of wood and 2 sides of acrylic. I tried thick CA to hold it together, but it was too brittle and came apart easily. Then I tried one with 5 minute epoxy and it held great. Something to consider with mixed material segmenting.

View attachment 120405

Thanks Steve for the info. I will pick some up this weekend. :good:

Top Bottom