Segmenting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Caden_Hrabak

Can someone give me a link to a DIY segmenting thread or website i would like to start doing some but i need somewhere to start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parson

No matter how hard I work at it I don't think I'll make pens like the Gisi boys. They're genuine artists with far more inherent talent and skill than I will ever possess! Here's my favorite Gisi pen, called "Arts and Crafts." I held one in my hot little hand at the Dallas Pen Show last year and wanted to buy it in the worst way... but it was $450 (being sold out of a collection from a pen company owner) and the wife did not pre-authorize that kind of purchase :)

Attachments

• Gisipen.jpg
    Gisipen.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

1dweeb

No matter how hard I work at it I don't think I'll make pens like the Gisi boys. They're genuine artists with far more inherent talent and skill than I will ever possess! Here's my favorite Gisi pen, called "Arts and Crafts." I held one in my hot little hand at the Dallas Pen Show last year and wanted to buy it in the worst way... but it was $450 (being sold out of a collection from a pen company owner) and the wife did not pre-authorize that kind of purchase :)

Probably have more chances of getting a new wife than of getting a pen like that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Always easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Parson

Ryan, it's a lot harder to do that pen than it looks. I don't think Gisi used dymondwood. I think he laminated pieces of veneer for it after seeing it in person and holding it in my hand. That's a LOT more work... but I want to make one like it anyway.

I'm doing some segmenting right now and boy howdy it ain't easy keeping the work square... and I'm already nervous about drilling it straight through so it's not lopsided when it's done.

Parson

The PC roller ball was actually easy and a lot of fun. You should try it. Just buy clay canes off eBay or from Toni and slice them with an exacto knife and stick them on the tubes. Then bake the tubes standing up in a toaster oven and then finish on the lathe.

Jon-wx5nco

I wouldn't even know where to start to build a pen like that. I know one would have to purchase the materials, but after that ?????

Parson

Jon, to make this pen (and I've tried once and the photo is in the photos area of the site under my name Parson) I printed out an enlarged color copy of the pen first. Then I started at the top of the base and worked my way back to the bottom end of the pen. I didn't know how to do closed-ended pens back then, so I just did my best. I also had never seen the pen in person so I had no idea just how stinking FAT the thing really was, so I used a Sedona kit and I should have used a Gentleman's kit or something with much much larger tubes.

Next you have to start cutting all the pieces. My friend helped me make a table saw sled on which we bolted an Incra Jig and a piece of wood with a couple of hinges on it that allow me to hold the material in place as it's being cut (to eliminate kickback or saw marks or uneven cutting).

BTW, I purchase uncut "slabs" of PR from exoticblanks.com which are the width of three pen blanks. They don't have them listed on their web site, so I just called them and placed an order over the phone. By having larger slabs of PR, you have far less waste and a larger chunk of material off of which to shave 1/16 inch slivers.

There is also extensive use of my sander and band saw for the 45 degree cuts.

Gisi is evidently laminating dyed veneers for all that multi color work... I've tried to use dymondwood and it cannot be made to look that way because it has a dark end and a bright end to it (very frustrating, btw). For the white parts he used plastic signage from Home Depot (the cheap ones that say, BAD DOG or Towing Enforced)... this stuff works well if you sand off all the screen printing and rough it up real good on both sides.

I thought the black he uses alongside the white was pick guard (for guitar faces) but one cannot procure it that thin, so I'm thinking it's black dyed veneered wood. He probably took a whole sheet of black veneer and glued it down to a full Home Depot sign so he'd have a bunch of it to work with. [If anyone reading this wants to PM me with the source for ultra thin BLACK and other colored plastic in 8.5x11 or larger sheets I sure would be appreciative!]

I'm gonna give this project another whirl over the summer months. I bet I can do get a lot closer now that I've made a bunch of pens and I'm thinking more like a segmenter now than ever before.

Last edited:
My attempts at segmenting are rather simple at present, hoping to change that over the summer. I find that it is best to build the blank with the pen in mind. Also the pieces if wood will look too thin until you get it all together and turn it.

Top Bottom