Segmented pens: question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

I've been reading forum articles on how to make segmented pens, and find some articles recommend assembling and gluing up the complete blanks before drilling them, while others suggest first drilling the blanks that you're going to cut from, then cutting and assembling and gluing them. Obviously both ways work, since the authors make beautiful pens, but I'm stumped trying to figure out when you would use one method or the other. Thoughts from those with more experience?

Cheers Eileen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

You need to try them yourself and see what works for you. As you stated either way works. Try something simple and you will learn what you like and dislike from each method. Most of the time for me it's just how I feel rather than a set method.

Firefyter-emt

Far from an expert here, but one thing to keep in mind, alot depends on your drill. Unless you have a really good drill, it might wander on you. Once it does your work to that point is shot. I made a checkerboard pen and ruined the first blak. I drilled the 1/4" slabs one by one and it worked perfect. My drill was poor, so I had to compensate.

mick

After making quite a few segmented pens I'll always drill my blanks before I cut or glue them up. Here is my reasoning:
1. Unless you have a drill press and/or a pen vise that is dead on accurate any intricate pattern will be off if drilled after glue up.( I always drill glue ups on my lathe)
2. Segments are much easier especially angled one, if assembled on the tube. this also IMHO makes it much easier to "center" any design on the tubes.
I will echo Dan tho ....do whatever works for you. Also RonMc has a great tutorial on the site where he sells his checkboard blanks. He is the "guru" of segmented pens! [:D]

Ron Mc

Eileen,
When you draw your design for a segmented pen look at it closely and imagine yourself drilling before you cut and drilling after you cut. Then go one step further in your mind to the "Glue up" stage. Which way does your design want to be created?
I have designs that just can't be drilled first, then cut, due to the fact that it is just too difficult to get all of the pieces to line up properly and sit still during the gluing process if they are pre drilled. On the other hand I have designs that won't sit still unless I pre-drill before cutting. It's darn hard to get a group of angled pieces to stay where you want them when you are pushing on the blank during glue up! Now that I think about it...It appears that all of the little pieces of wood are like a bunch of school kids at lunch or at nap time!
I find that playing a nice relaxing CD in the back ground will assist in all phases of pen turning. [;)]

Here are a couple examples of designs done using both methods.

<b>This pen design can be drilled first then glued onto the tube. I find this easier due to the fact that the tube holds the pieces in place.</b>
BSTOpen.jpg

<b>I find this pen design much easier to cut first then glue due to the fact that if drilled first I can't keep the pieces tight with the tube during the glue up stage.</b>
Decoclosed3.jpg

As long as your having fun creating your works of art it makes no difference at all what order you do things in.

ilikewood

One little hint on things like a checkerboard glue up. If you take your four pieces that you are going to glue and chamfer off one corner to start, it helps. Glue the four pieces together with the chamfer side into the center...this creates a sort of "pilot" hole that when drilled with a regular drill bit will keep the bit from wandering.

I'm sure there are others who have some fantastic ideas.

vick

I think Ron hit it right on the head that some design just cannot be drilled prior to assembly, and design will determine preffered method. I would like to add to some extent how you drill matters. I drill on the lathe useing pin jaws on a 4 jaw chuck and you can drill very acurately if you blank is perfectly square. To hit dead center I am very careful about squareing my stock prior to drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom