Segmented Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mather323

When turning segmented pens what is the best tool to use to prevent concaveing of the softer wood that is right next to a harder wood. Maby I am applying to much pressure with my tool. (gouge) Should I be using a skew. Thanks

kirkfranks

A Skew would probably be a little better if you have good control.
Also note that if there is that much difference in the density of the wood that you will get the same effect from sanding. So if you can use a skew well work to make those last cleanup cuts ever so light so that you can avoid most of the sanding.

Also you may want to try using thin CA as a hardner/sanding sealer just before the last bit of turning. I many times will turn to just about where I want it and then flood with CA to harden the wood. Then the last pass with the skew. This leaves enough of the CA hardened wood to better hold up to the sanding. This also helps to keep the different colored wood sanding dust from transfering. But still best to get your cuts smooth enough that you can start with the very fine grit sandpaper.

jhs494

Try using the skew, it should help even things out. This is one of those cases where a very sharp tool really counts.If it is sharp it will continue to cut even when you get to the more dense portions.
When sanding different density woods I will use a block of wood to back the sandpaper this helps bridge the gap over the softer parts.

Top Bottom