Segmented Pen Instructions & Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKingsFan

Does anyone have any tips & tricks on doing segmented pens? It would really help if there was some pictures along with it. I got the checkerboard from Fanger and it was a great help! I'm just looking for others as well.

Thank you all for your ongoing lessens

Ron :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by LAKingsFan
<br />Does anyone have any tips & tricks on doing segmented pens? It would really help if there was some pictures along with it. I got the checkerboard from Fanger and it was a great help! I'm just looking for others as well.

Thank you all for your ongoing lessens

Ron [:)]
Try looking for plans for bowls and adapting them to pens. That is what I've done once or twice[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I you are referring to a semented spiral
When I first started turning I was guilty of reading tutorials. When I realized it inhibited the thought process I stopped that transgression.
Ant way since you didn't mention what kind of segments you are referring to I wrote a couple of "tips"( not a tutorial)
There is an article on doing them on the home page

http://www.penturners.org/content/segpen.pdf
I use a jig that I make up each time I cut segmented blanks.
I have found that there are a few key things to remember and a couple of tricks.
The first is the stock must be squared with glue joint surfaces.
the second is any time you need to sand you run the risk of throuwing off parallel surfaces thus throwing off the "line" of the blank.
I use a table saw to cut the pieces. Glue jopint surfaces every time.
One important thing is to draw a line along one edge of the stock before I cut it into segments.I uses a sharpie with a distinctive color.
This helps me refrence the pattern.
The jig I make each time is out of "Breadboard plastic"
When I set up the TS to cut the segments I rip a strip of the plastic the same width.
This gets brad nailed to a flat piece of wasted stock.
The bottom secton pieces get beveled and pinned with a 90* recess for the bottom segment.
I glue up the first two segments carefully centering each to get the "points" centered and equally spaced.
I set that in the recess and brad nail a strip that aligns the subsequent piecees.
Clear as mud huh?
If I can find the last one I made I'll post a picture.

Like Jim said, look for plans on bowls and adapt them to pens. Also look at http://inlay.com/ for ideas.

I'll hazard to guess that segmented pen turning is in it's infancy and I'll guarantee all designs you see here are the brain storms of the turners on this list.

rtparso

Oh come on I have to think all week it's Saterday!!![:D] Realy, thanks, the tips are what I like. Even with the detailed tutorials I read them and then go out in the shop try it my way. AND SOME TIMES IT works. I realy don't do well with step by step directions. Just a personal preferance.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtparso
<br />Oh come on I have to think all week it's Saterday!!![:D] Realy, thanks, the tips are what I like. Even with the detailed tutorials I read them and then go out in the shop try it my way. AND SOME TIMES IT works. I realy don't do well with step by step directions. Just a personal preferance.

Precisely why I don't do tutorials.
I do not type well, I am not a writer.
If a tutorial is just read and ignored then what I did was a waste of time.
If someone is going to do it their way anyway, then that's how they sould have started in the first place.
With the thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom