Segmented pen finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolland

After three trys I finally got it figured out. This is all Winset1 fault, after seeing his tutoral I got interested in making one. I did learn a lot. The first two blew up when I got close to finished. Figured out not enough glue and to aggressive on the tool. I use a woodchuck pen pro and found that if I turn the cutting edge 30 to 45 degrees it shears rather than scrapes and does a much better job, before the aluminum caught on the tool and I ripped it out.
I also rebuilt my disc sander and band saw to cut more accurately. I made a sled to cut the slabs on the band saw. makes it a little easier.
The wood in the pen is unknown just scraps I had in the box, the pen is a Phoenix from Woodturningz, not sure if I like it yet, its kinda heavy.
I used aluminum flashing from Ace Hardware but found out it has a coating on it that has to be removed, I think that was part of the first two failures.

Attachments

• 100_1322.jpg
    100_1322.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 620
  • 100_1324.jpg
    100_1324.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_1325.jpg
    100_1325.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 685
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

you have thrown yourself in the river, I have made 3 since his tutorial came out. finished the 3rd today. It looks like you have done well. Now yo will waste all your free time cutting perfectly good wood into pieces just t glue it back together.

Phil

Nice scallops. Soon you will be making all kinds of glued together pieces of art.
I have found that gluing a scrap piece of wood onto the scallop and finding the center for your live center to stick into, helps prevent picking off scallops when you are nearing the end of turning. After you are finished you just cut off the scrap and sand to the tube. You will need a calipers to get the final size though.

D.Oliver

By making that tutorial Tim ensured that he will either be paraded around on cheering peoples shoulders or chased by a mob with pitchforks and torches. Seeing this pen and the one Phil made, its looking like he will probably won't have to worry about the angry mob. Good job.

wiset1

It wasn't Me!!!

After three trys I finally got it figured out. This is all Winset1 fault, after seeing his tutoral I got interested in making one. I did learn a lot. The first two blew up when I got close to finished. Figured out not enough glue and to aggressive on the tool. I use a woodchuck pen pro and found that if I turn the cutting edge 30 to 45 degrees it shears rather than scrapes and does a much better job, before the aluminum caught on the tool and I ripped it out.
I also rebuilt my disc sander and band saw to cut more accurately. I made a sled to cut the slabs on the band saw. makes it a little easier.
The wood in the pen is unknown just scraps I had in the box, the pen is a Phoenix from Woodturningz, not sure if I like it yet, its kinda heavy.
I used aluminum flashing from Ace Hardware but found out it has a coating on it that has to be removed, I think that was part of the first two failures.

Well, I sure don't want the mob chasing after me for a scalloping tutorial :biggrin: These things have a way of working themselves out in time. I'm sure you'll find a balance that works for you and soon enough you'll be schooling me on a new design idea.

I really wish I could take credit for the scallops, but it really wasn't me! I think Brian Kort is the scallop king here...he has been doing segmented scallops since I joined the IAP and I'm sure others have done way more than I have so I can't really take credit for anything.

I think you've done a great job on this pen!

Take care, best wishes, and Happy New Year!

mmm I dont know if I am the scallop king. I found it in the library...used them in my pens and liked it. Lots of others before us on here have done them before us, so we probably have not seen a lot of the pens made using them. Tim, I may have done them before you but your fit and finish is far better then mine is. Just got a band saw, so maybe I can get some more uniform cuts (we`ll see) I am going to try the 5 min epoxy and see what happens with that. The super glue letting loose is frustrating.
Segmented pens are very satisfying and very aggravating when things go haywire.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (1 hr late):biggrin:

Top Bottom