segmented dyamond wood issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

foamcapt40

I am trying to get a blank ready to turn and I keep having problems with the blank splitting. I took care when drilling to drill slow and let the heat dissapate because of the angled segments and glue, but each time I try to square the ends with a penmill, the blank shatters. This first time, I thought I was in a hurry but when it happened a second time, It is curious. I don't have a good way to sand the blanks to square them so a penmill is what I have been using. Am I doing something wrong? (of course this pen is for a present, so it has been even more frustrating!):frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have been 'fairly successfull' at squaring dymondwood with a mill.. Make sure the mill is razor sharp and soak the end with thin ca to harden it up a bit.

But sanding is definately safer.

rjwolfe3

I have the same problem. I think you can take a piece of sandpaper and attach it to the back of the penmill and turn the head around and sand that way. I haven't tried it but that is what I heard.

Chasper

Start by triming the ends close before trying to square the ends.
For me the breaks happen in the first 1/2 second of squaring, and they are especially bad for the diagonal laminations, the wood splits at a lamination on the down tapering side.
The best solution I have found is to hold it tight with parallel jaw pliers, making sure the down tapered laminate is against a jaw. Hold it up very high, just below the mill. Once it gets started and makes a circle cut it won't be in danger of splitting and you can move your grip lower.

beck3906

I have found that using a pen mill at slow speeds tends to allow the mill edges to grab the laminations which causes the splitting. I have been farily successful in using the pen mill in my battery screw gun. Using a fairly high speed on the screw gun, I slowly allow the blank to touch the spinning pen mill edges until the blank is fairly smooth. I can then apply more pressure to get the trimming done.

leehljp

Member Liaison
And I agree with either Cindy's method or sanding. I have made several very delicate laminates and don't take a chance with blades catching on them. Either clamp them so that the blank can't come apart, or sand it.

Wishing that it had not happened - doesn't help after the fact. I have 2 four-blade carbide cutters and they are sharp, but I still don't trust them on delicate grain of some of my blanks. I know that I will get by as many mentioned above, but the one time that it "will" happen - will be with the most expensive blank or the one that I have put the most time on. :eek:

Top Bottom