Seeking comments on European Twist Pencil from CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Zakian

I am looking at making some CSUSA twist European Pencils (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...its___European_Pencil_Kit___euro_pencil?Args=) to match the European Pens from CSUSA to give as gift sets.

If anyone has had any experience with this particular twist pencil kit I would appreciate your thoughts or comments.

I am also open to any other pencil/pen sets you have been pleased with. While these particular people prefer the European style, my concern is to get them sets that will work well into the future.

Any comments or thoughts on twist vs. click pencils in general would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

DurocShark

I am NOT a fan of the twist pencils. I made a set for a customer, and have had to replace the mechanism twice in 6 months.

I still have not found something I like for a pencil other than the Pentel conversions.

I do hear good things about the ones that work with a Parker based pen, but no personal experience with them.

Gary Zakian

Thanks to all who viewed this question.

After further research and some insight/guidance from JohnnyCNC I am going to pursue the Pentel (r) conversion route. It seems like that is the best way to get consistent quality and long-lasting results that customers will appreciate.

jskeen

The general consensus around here is that all the pencil kit mechanisms are not of sufficient quality for any real use. I have tried a couple, with very poor results.

The pentel conversion is a wonderful writing instrument and can be disguised in several ways, I have done them as straight wood bodies shaped like the plastic originals, as shell casing and antler pencils using 25-06 casings, and as segmented freeform bodies using a single 7mm tube to anchor the mechanism.

I suspect that the single tube design could probably be used to mimic the euro body pretty closely, including the kit centerband , and I would imagine that modifying the nib to enclose the pentel nib could also be managed. I don't see an easy way to mimic the trademark domed finial and still preserve the click action of the mechanism right away however :-(

On the other hand, the schmidt .05mm or .07mm conversion mechanism is a fairly well proven unit, and i have used several myself and been pretty happy with them. The 8mm euro from Berea (or even better, the Neopean from Aaron) work well with this mechanism.

Top Bottom