Sedona problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/5541/1_2015-10-06_23.19.54.jpg I made this Sedona a week or so ago

And I have a problem with it. I have had this problem with Navigators in the past. The cap end comes loose very easily, like just putting it in your shirt pocket and the movement of walking around will jostle it enough to loosen the cap and have it come off. I don't tighten them real tight but also I don't just lightly tighten them either, I would say just enough force that you would expect to be needed. Like I said this used to happen with Navigators a few years ago and I quit buying them and bought this Sedona kit and then had to quit turning for a few years. Now I have turned it an it has the same problem. First I am thinking of maybe putting an O-Ring on the pen side and see if that helps. I guess I should say if I tighten it up real tight then it doesn't come loose but after a while you can see the plastic threads becoming stressed. So I would like to know if this problem is inherent (sp) of these types of pens or is there some other kits in the same general price range (I am assuming since it has been a long time that it was under $10) that are better in this regard? Do the rollerball pens with a screw cap with metal threads have this same problem or are the metal ones better. I understand that under $10 is not a real high end amount.
Thanx
Curt

randyrls

Curt; This is a problem for many capped pens. To make the cap easy to thread on and off, a coarse thread is used with multi-start threads to keep the number of turns down, but this reduces the holding power of the threads. I have in the past put a dab of black caulk on the threads inside the cap. Some have tried to add a ring of caulk to the lower lip of the cap. My own opinion is that there isn't a good solution, but I hope someone will make a suggestion that proves me wrong.

CREID

I use thin O rings on the bottom of the thread, if it's thin enough it will work and look fine
Joey
Yea, I was thinking of the O-ring. Glad to know i'm not the only one to think that, some of my ideas are a little out there. I think I will give the o-ring a try and see what happens.
thanx
Curt

Top Bottom