Sedona with experimental blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

I was orderings some glue last week and noticed Copper plated Sedona's on sale, so grabbed a couple in a moment of weakness. Hmm... need a blank for a copper Sedona... I had hadn't done any resin pens lately, so thought I'd try to match it with one of some experimental Alumilite pours I had a done a few months back. I liked the one in the first photo, but these were only 15.5mm wide rounds (and the Sedona cap needs a 12mm hole)... ah what the heck, I'll give it ago as a skill builder. Gotta love Alumililte - the blank drilled just fine, and not much turning needed on that cap :)

When I did get the thing turned and polished, the colors inside the blank just didn't seem to mesh with the copper plating like I thought they would. So I went with a chrome Sedona instead. So I failed in my original motivation of this journey to use that copper plated one...

One thing I didn't remember from previous resin turns, was that the finish didn't really "pop", even when I got through all the Micro Mesh. It wasn't until I hit it with Novus #2 that it blossomed. I decided to do a couple of coats of BLO/CA on this to take care of a couple of "micro" pits I had noticed. Wow, the finish popped to another level again when I hit it with the BLO/CA - I don't recall that either - doing a CA finish on Alumilite blanks, but I'd do it again after seeing that happen.

(oops meant to post this in "Show Off Your Pens" - move it as appropriate)

Attachments

• March19Pens-8559.jpg
    March19Pens-8559.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 198
  • March19Pens-8572.jpg
    March19Pens-8572.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 266
  • March19Pens-8569.jpg
    March19Pens-8569.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 265
  • March19Pens-8570.jpg
    March19Pens-8570.jpg