Secret compartment keyring bushing sizes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I purchased the kits but forgot to get bushings...I do however have a digital caliper. Anyone know the bushing sizes for this kit? It's hard to measure from the kit parts since both ends are rounded over to a flat. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll check for you.

I purchased the kits but forgot to get bushings...I do however have a digital caliper. Anyone know the bushing sizes for this kit? It's hard to measure from the kit parts since both ends are rounded over to a flat. Thanks.

I have the bushings so I'll check for you Tim.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Bushings..

I have the bushings so I'll check for you Tim.

11.5mm is the bushing size for the kits you have Tim (assuming they're the ones you got from me.)

Chasper

Tim,
If you turn those to the bushings they look like they have been overturned. The bushings will take you to the smaller diameter where the rounding on the components stops. I leave them considerably larger than the bushings, almost to the maximum measurement on the rings of the components.

Timbo

Thanks for the quick response everyone!

Yes Smitty...these are the one I got from you. Thanks for checking.

Gerry - Thanks for that insite. I think I might like the "overturned" look better. When the top of the lower barrel of cigar pens are turned to the bushings (even with the round, rather than the flat portion of the coupling) they look underturned to me because I can still see the endgrain of the wood...so I overturn them deliberately. I'm probably going to like these kits better when turned to the start of the flat portion of the fitting also.

Timbo

Smitty37;1121371 11.5mm is the bushing size for the kits you have Tim (assuming they're the ones you got from me.)[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Smitty. I set my caliper to 11.5mm and eyeballed it against the kit part. If I turned the blank to this size, the edge would end up below where the flat part of the fitting begins. This would make the blank look overturned. I want to turn it to the point where the rounded part of the fitting meets the flat. Soooo...I took my trusty digital caliper and the kit part to my magnifier/light and set it as best I could to that point. The setting turned out to be 12.6mm. I made set of 12.6mm bushings out of corian. I angled the edge out slightly towards the center so that there is a slight gap between the outer edge and the blank...this makes it less likely that I'll hit the soft bushing with my chisel and chew it up. I used the bushings to turn one of the kits last night, it came out perfect.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Never made one

Smitty37;1121371 11.5mm is the bushing size for the kits you have Tim (assuming they're the ones you got from me.)[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Smitty. I set my caliper to 11.5mm and eyeballed it against the kit part. If I turned the blank to this size, the edge would end up below where the flat part of the fitting begins. This would make the blank look overturned. I want to turn it to the point where the rounded part of the fitting meets the flat. Soooo...I took my trusty digital caliper and the kit part to my magnifier/light and set it as best I could to that point. The setting turned out to be 12.6mm. I made set of 12.6mm bushings out of corian. I angled the edge out slightly towards the center so that there is a slight gap between the outer edge and the blank...this makes it less likely that I'll hit the soft bushing with my chisel and chew it up. I used the bushings to turn one of the kits last night, it came out perfect.

I never made one Tim, I measured the bushings that I bought and have in stock for that kit. It is entirely possible that they are off a little. It could also be that the intent is for the metal to overlap the wood. I will inquire about it. The way I do key rings I am more likely to let the wood a little proud of the meta caps...but they could intend these to be the other way.

That happens. I got a kit from PSI that says to use slimline busings and they seem way too small, but it might be intentional .

Last edited:
Top Bottom