Secret Compartment Key Ring Questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I just made my first two key rings . One padauk and one purpleheart. I dont want to make any more untill I find out a couple things.

Where do you get ideas for the different profiles or do you just make them up as you go along like I did with these two. I would appreciate if some of the members here would post pictures of some or supply links to some so I can "borrow" some ideas.

Also, I am curious as to what the majority are using for a finish. I just used the quick and easy friction finish on these two . I wish all forms of finishing was that easy. But because key rings are subjected to a lot of abuse with keys banging on them in pockets and purses, .. do we need to use a better finish like CA or laquer. ? ?. Or do we just let them wear down to the bare wood and classify it as "character" or something like that.
It seems to me that most any finish will wear off eventually because of the type of use that they are subjected to.
W.Y.
67876208.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Bill;
well I'm no expert, but I just make mine up as I go along.If you look at Pen State's catalog you can get some ideas of what to put on thes as there are a lot of dupalkater patterns in it. Nice work on the ones you have made. Just let your emaganation run wiled. lol
Just Charlie

jwoodwright

William, I was disappointed with the very short lifespan of the gold plating. The wood finish lasted longer. I bought kits at both Craft Supplies and Penn State. Daily use and keys quickly took their toll.[:(]

Bill, I just use my imagination and try to vary each one at least a little. It is kinda like the bottle stoppers and pour spouts. Whatever seems to fit the wood or whatever the imagination sees. The 2 you did are very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom