Searching for a middle sized pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I am searching foe a middle size pen. I have tried Olympia and I have tried Flat Top American. Out of the two the Olympia feels better/ and looks better. But the Olympia is still way to big for the smaller hand. Any ideas except going back to the slim line.

Bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

Hi Bill,
I've been making many Slim Lines lately. I've discovered that by eliminating the center band you can make them any size you want. I have one that's as big as a Cigar and another that is almost down to the brass tubes. I'm making some pens for graduation presents for 3 young women. My wife checked the European, Cigar, and some of my "fat" Slim Line styles and said that the thiner pens would be the best. I dislike the Slim Line center band and the taper to and from it so I've been doing other things. Here is a link: http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html hope this helps.
Thanks.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Look at the Berea "Streamline" if you want a slightly larger SlimLine kit pen. The same kit is called the "Toni" at Woodcraft.

Craft Supplies has one called the "Father Sing" that is a fatter Slimline.

MobilMan

Cigarman, you're the first on any forum I go on [6] that has mentioned the Hart DT. The Slimline & Hart were my first pen types to turn. The Hart is a nice kit. My favorite is the European. A little bulkier on the top section.

I definitely like the Hart pen for a mid-sized desk pen, the fatter midsection makes it comfortable to hold. But the one I find folks (whome I've given pens to) migrate toward for general writing is the Euro round top pen.

toolcrazy

Rmartin

If they would redesign the center band of the Elegant American, that would be my first choice. Mainly because it uses the double twist and the better Parker style refill. My next choice is the Streamline, but it's not much more than a slimline with a bigger center band. I've got about 30 streamline kits in stock, but as soon as I use them up, I may simply use a modified slimline for my mid-sized pen.

follow3

Hey Mobilman,

What are the other forums? Are they pen turning or all types of turning or woodworking?

Thanks,
Steve

Originally posted by MobilMan

Cigarman, you're the first on any forum I go on [6] that has mentioned the Hart DT. The Slimline & Hart were my first pen types to turn. The Hart is a nice kit. My favorite is the European. A little bulkier on the top section.

DaveM

One more "Ditto" on the Streamline. I sell a boatload of them. They come in two flavors, flat top and round top. Both work well for me. I charge an extra buck for the round ones, because the kit is a touch more. I started with 5 wood and 15 acrylics on the table. I still have 4 wooden ones left, and I am on my fifth batch of acrylics! One caveat with the Streamline (And the Olympia, perfect fit and several other pens which have a lot of taper) If you are using a slightly transluscent acrylic, it will show a color difference between the center, and the ends ofthe pen. It is important to paint the holes and tubes well, and also to match the paint to the acrylic. A little caution will make for a great looking pen. The streamline has become my most popular pen with the ladies.

Top Bottom