Sealing Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

adirondyke

I want to seal the ends of some freshly cut pen blanks, but I'm not sure what to use. I've heard that Anchor Seal works well, but haven't been able to find it any my local hardware store - also, a visit to their website told me that they make many different products. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Marilyn
Ocean Park, WA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Marilyn,
I've used melted candle wax with decent results. I bought some cheap red candles for contrast, used a throwaway pan and dipped the ends of the wood. I'm sure there are better ways, but this worked for me.

tipusnr

I use old candles and paraffin in a crock pot. It works well and the lid keeps dust out of the mix between uses. Also the pot doesn't get hot enough to become a potential fire hazard!

I use the stubs of old candles. If you don't have any old candles, you can buy wax (used for sealing canning jars) at the grocery store a lot cheaper than Pentacryl. It comes in 1 pound boxes which will do tons of blanks. Good luck!

Doghouse

Woodcraft also sells endgrain wood sealer. It is an emulsified wax similar to anchorseal. You will find the paintable wax will not chip off as easily as dipping in candle wax.

Fred in NC

A small crock pot is ideal for sealing pen blanks with wax. Pretty cheap, and sometimes they can be found at garage sales and thrift shops for very little. It is the safest and most practical way for pens.

adirondyke

Thanks! I appreciate all of the tips and ideas - and any others that are yet to come.

I'll be watching for a crock pot at garage sales - I'd better not borrow the one in the kitchen!
[;)]

Marilyn
Ocean Park, WA

gaholte

Since I work for Gilmer Wood Co.. We mostly dip the wood into WAX for a better results.. Any wood that won't fit into the pot, we seal it with Shellac sealer on it..

You can find WAXs at any art craft store that makes candles, and even at grocery store where they store cannery stuff.. They are cheaper than Pentacryl..

I do those at my home as well.. :)

Gary Holte
NW Woodturner
www.nwwoodturner.com
Portland, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom