Sealing log ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I have just come into a load of walnut and was wondering what common shop suplly I could use to seal the end. I had heard latex paint before and was wondering if anyone had tried it. Also since sheellac is good at blocking water vapor I wondered if that would be a good choice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Agree with Fred. Before I had anchorseal I used some latex paint. Just be sure to put on more than one coat allowing each coat to dry before the next. At least that's my experiance, take it for what it's worth.

Ryan

William Young

Same here. Latex paint. I slopped a bunch of odds and ends of latex paint on the ends of this pile of aspen . Let it dry and repeated. . Just got a few very minor cracks about 1" in after 2 years of air drying from green wood.
W.Y.

40624392.jpg

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
William,
Pretty sure it was you who posted pics of your home area before, and every time I see all that wide open country and _mountains_ I get so-o-o-o-o-o jealous[^]

Living here at the ocean side of Virginia its _flat_ and sandy <sigh>

JohnPayton

Darley

Hi vick look at this .

W.Y nice place you got I'm like John beach is cross the road lots of sun burn[:D]

The way I seal my logs is simple and very economic .

take 1 quater of petrol( fuel )go to the grocery shop and ask for some foam white box ( polysterene foam box ), break the box in peices and drop in to the petrol it will dissolve, make a paste ou of it then seal one end of your log standing up right with this paste , seal the other end when the first one is dry, no crack with this seal, I guaranty you the seal will be rock hard, try it nothing to loose, but post on this forum your feeling and observation after you try it

Serge

Dave C

I remember wayyyy back when I was young my father had a black walnut tree milled into lumber. What he used to seal the log ends before he had them milled was paraffin wax (canning wax). He sold the lumber before I started doing woodworking but I remember that there was no end grain cracks in the boards. I would use a old coffee can and melt the wax outside on a BBQ or portable stove and use a old paint brush to apply it on the logs. You can cut the wax into smaller pieces to help them melt faster and a pair of vice grips to hold on to the hot can. If the wax starts to set in the can before you are done with the logs just put it back on the heat to melt it. <u>Just be careful because hot wax can burn you.</u>
Just another way to seal the ends
Dave

tipusnr

I use the wax in a slow cooker for sealing green blanks cut oversized. I've also sealed some small split log blanks but it's harder as you can't dip the wood in the crock.

Additionally you can put the lid on it afterwards and keep everything out of the paraffin. I'm looking for a second one (spelled cheap garage sale) for old candle wax to use on wood that I don't mind having the end slightly discolored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom