Is sealing a laser engraving necesssary?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

I am slowly learning the process of laser engraving pens and seam rippers. I finally found a writing program that works with my laser carver. My Laser Carver is 500mW.
My question is: Is it necessary to seal the engraved signature with anything?
Thanks, Tim.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Necessary. -- No

Desirable, or a more effective treatment -- Maybe often and Yes in some cases.

Depends on the use and market and the design outcome sought.

budnder

I always have some loose black dust (charcoal?) within the engraving lines, so feel the need to seal that (CA or sanding sealer), so it doesn't smear out later.

If I look at the paper towel I apply with, it always comes back "dirty" with black material from the engraving.

showcaser

I engrave almost all of my pens. The only ones I fill are non wood. By filling wood you are just taking a chance in screwing up a finished pen.
Best of luck,Patrick

DJBPenmaker

I am slowly learning the process of laser engraving pens and seam rippers. I finally found a writing program that works with my laser carver. My Laser Carver is 500mW.
My question is: Is it necessary to seal the engraved signature with anything?
Thanks, Tim.
Could you tell me what writing program you use?
As far as sealing the engraving, if the rest of the wood is sealed then I would also seal the engraving in the same way with a final coat, otherwise no.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tim'sTurnings

DJB, I use Inkscape 0.91 for the writing program (and it is not easy to use) to choose the font and size of the engraving for the person's name. It took a loooooong time to find a program that I could type out the name, save it to desktop and then slide it over to the Laser carver and then to rotate it, if needed. Inkscape also took a long time to finally figure it out.
I tried at least a dozen programs for the writing and none of them worked.

The reason I asked about sealing is because I have the pen or seam ripper completely finished and assembled and I can not put it back on the lathe to put on another coat of finish. I can try to use a small brush and cover the engraving but would rather not, if not necessary. If sealing is not necessary then good for me, as I don't want to do it if it isn't normally required.
Thanks to everyone for their answers and suggestions.
Tim.

DJBPenmaker

Thanks for that, I'll give inkscape a try.
Btw. I normally engrave before finishing, that way if the engraving isn't spot on I still can easily correct matters.

Hello Everyone ... in case this would work for others .... this is what I do :

Turn and sand the wood pen blank

CA the pen blank

then will micro mesh to smooth out the CA

I then lightly take very fine steel wool and touch the pen blank as it's spinning on the lathe to take any sheen away

I then engrave the pen blank

Fill the engraving with Artists Acrylic Paint ... most likely I put 2 coats of Paint on ( your choice of color) .... let cure 24 hours

I then micro mesh with the first 2 grits

Wipe clean and let dry

I then apply several more coats of CA and Micro Mesh completely

Pen blank is complete and sealed

Hope it helps someone

Brian

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

Btw. I normally engrave before finishing, that way if the engraving isn't spot on I still can easily correct matters.

The reason I engrave pens and rippers that are already finished is because I don't sell very many. Sales are very slow and far between, partially my fault as I don't have any good sites/outlets to sell them on. So I only sell pens that people see AFTER they are finished. When I sell one, then I offer to laser carve/engrave their name on it.
Tim.

DJBPenmaker

The reason I engrave pens and rippers that are already finished is because I don't sell very many. Sales are very slow and far between, partially my fault as I don't have any good sites/outlets to sell them on. So I only sell pens that people see AFTER they are finished. When I sell one, then I offer to laser carve/engrave their name on it.
Tim.
I wondered about that and then thought that might be the case. You know, I don't think there's a problem at all with your method because the finish is unlikely to be totally destroyed and is more like melted and probably absorbed by the wood to some extent. There won't be a raw edge as such where the finish might begin to lift. I think you'll be just fine with what you do [emoji4]

KenV

Tim, I have used Rub-N-Buff to color engraving in finished pens with a smooth gloss finish. Guilders paste is another name for these wax based metallic colored fillers. Microfiber cloth cleans up the pen barrel well if you take care in application.

Beautys_Beast

Tim, I have used Rub-N-Buff to color engraving in finished pens with a smooth gloss finish. Guilders paste is another name for these wax based metallic colored fillers. Microfiber cloth cleans up the pen barrel well if you take care in application.

This is why I do as well.

Dale Allen

I have etched some sample blanks that had no additional sealer afterward and they were handled a lot. I saw no evidence they smeared or otherwise changed.
It seems to me this is similar to wood burning. I don't recall of anyone who seals those items.

Top Bottom