Sealing green wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
As I have mentioned, I am leaving my beloved South for the frozen tundra of Pennsylvania. I am stocking up on southern woods to take with me. It was recommended that I use Anchorseal to seal the cut ends of my wood. I went to Lowes and Home Depot, and the people there had never heard of Anchorseal. I didn't make it to our local Sutherlands before they closed. I checked the web site for Ace Hardware, and Anchorseal was not listed on the site. Where should I look for Anchorseal? Also, if I don't find it locally, wouldn't it work acceptably to melt paraffin wax and dip the ends in it to seal the wood?
Thanks in advance,
William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

William,
I sealed a bunch of logs and other woods over a year ago with plain old candle wax, Parrifin wax woudl also work. you need to get it pretty hot so it will actually soak into the end grain otherwise it cools to fast and just sets on the surface where it will chip off.

wdcav1952

Daniel,
Thanks for the advice. I'm off to Walmart this morning for waffle "fixins" so I'll get some wax while I'm there. You know, I really think you answered my question because you are a good guy, I'm sure that your reply got you one post closer to that 5th star had nothing to do with it. <G>
BTW, best of luck with the new shop.
William

Scott

Hi William,

Anchorseal is the stuff to use - it works the best! The parrafin wax, and even latex paint, will also work, just not with the efficiency of the anchorseal. Here's their website: https://www.uccoatings.com/

Scott.

Daniel

William,
I lost interest in stars when I looked at my profile and found out I'm a "Senior" member now I'm searching frantically to find my discount or whatever.

wdcav1952

Daniel and Scott,
Thanks for the help. I had already cut the wood, and lost a couple of short pieces of dogwood due to excessive cracking. I melted a huge Walmart candle and dipped my wood so hopefully it will make the trip in decent shape. I will keep the anchorseal link and order it when I get moved.

Daniel, the "Senior Discounts" may sound nice, but trust me, the first time AARP sends you membership information it really p***es you off big time.

William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom