scrub oak (Gambrel Oak)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

A friend brought back a piece of gambrel oak from Colorado last week. It was a branch about 1 1/4 inches in diameter after I turned the bark off, and about 10 inches long. I got 4 blanks out of it. It had some nice black tight knots, dark and light grain. It turned easily, and was a nice rich sort of dark golden oak color. Unfortunately I gave it to the guy who brought me the wood before I took a picture of it. He is going to bring me some more next time he goes to CO. (It is from the firewood pile!) First chance I get I will turn another pen and take a picture before I give it away!
Has anyone turned any of this?

Sharon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

It was wood from a branch? Not the main trunk? Where did all the knots come from??

What size blanks are you making? 10" gives me (1)5-1/4" and a short.... How do you get 4 blanks? Cause I've got this piece of crazy Bimble Box Burl that I would love to make two pens out of......

Scott (it would save me a bunch of cash) B

JerrySambrook

The knots come from all the points that the leaves attach to the branch
A branch that small in dia had leaves coming out over much of its surface, as it is a secondary or tertiary branch

sbwertz

Actually it had a number of small twigs coming off the branch giving me knots about a quarter inch in diameter. I cut the blanks just a little short of five inches.

He just came back from CO and brought me some more. Here is a piece cut off a slab before it was cut into blanks. This is a piece about 2 1/2 inches wide and half an inch thick. It was left after cutting 3/4 inch blanks. The lower piece is the first squaring cut to remove the bark so it has more sapwood.
DSC01344.JPG

He brought me about 20 pieces ranging from 1 1/2" to 4" in diameter and about 18" long.

Last edited:

rogerpjr

I am in the process of clearing out some of the scrub oak around our house. Some of the pieces I have cut are dead branches and some is still live. I've trimmed anything from 1" to about 4" so far. I'll be cutting a live section that is about 4-5" diam x about 5' long probably next week. If anyone wants some pieces, let me know. They may have to get cut into smaller lengths to fit in flat rate boxes and some will have to be dried.

sbwertz

Sharon, that's somw nice looking oak yougot for a small branches like that. Are you going to sell some of it?

No, but I'll give it to anyone who wants some and will pay the postage. So far I've cut up enough to last me the rest of my natural life. Probably forty or more blanks, and I still have half of it left uncut.

sbwertz

Hey Sharon, are we in some kind of competition for giving away the scrub oak?

LOL Maybe...how stuffed is YOUR workshop? :biggrin:

I came home with a whole trunkful of wood from vacation, and I don't have room to put what I already had! Want some honey locust? I have about a bazillion blanks my husband cut for me.

Top Bottom