Scroll Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMT

Any of you guys use a scroll saw in your pen making? I'm thinking of getting one to help me make some interesting blanks....but I have zero experience with them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

You can also try VisExp. Keith does some scroll work a little different. Both Jeff and Keith are very talented, just different approches and designs.

jttheclockman

There are alot of people who use scroll saws in pen turning. They are good for doing segmenting with curves. They are good for inlay work. Alot of people use them to cut blanks to length. A useful tool that does not take up alot of space. They sure do vary in price and you usually get what you pay for as they say.

I myself use a scrollsaw for alot more than just pen turning also. Just posted some photos of a little experiment in the casting section about casting quarters.

PaulDoug

I have a scroll saw and have used it in making a few pen blanks. I want to start using it more often. I find scrolling very relaxing. I will say if you plan on buying one, get a good one. Read up on them just like you would if purchasing any tool. My first one was a real cheapie and it took the fun out of scrolling very quickly. I have the DeWalt now and am very happy with it, But I have seem quite a few of the high-end ones on Craigslist at very good prices.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll drink to that

I have a scroll saw and have used it in making a few pen blanks. I want to start using it more often. I find scrolling very relaxing. I will say if you plan on buying one, get a good one. Read up on them just like you would if purchasing any tool. My first one was a real cheapie and it took the fun out of scrolling very quickly. I have the DeWalt now and am very happy with it, But I have seem quite a few of the high-end ones on Craigslist at very good prices.

If you can spend the money on the best you can afford. The cheap ones probably won't cut good enough to do what you'll want to do. Also, figure on spending a lot of time and wood learning to use that rascal. In addition figure on buying good blades and make sure you learn how to match the blade to the wood you're using.

Top Bottom