Scroll Chuck??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I have seen this term used a number of times but don't know what it means. Searched the threads here at IAP; but didn't really find a complete answer to my question. Can anyone explain what a scroll chuck is?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

The mechanism that moves the jaws in and out is called a scroll. It's usually a conical or flat scroll.

jwoodwright

Another tidbit, there was a time when only Metal Working Lathes had chucks. More commonly chucks are known as 3 jaw or 4 jaw. A Metal Working Chuck is a knuckle ripper, you only get close once...[8D] Unless, you like pain...[:I]

Randy_

Originally posted by jwoodwright<br />....A Metal Working Chuck is a knuckle ripper, you only get close once.....
Been there.....done that. Thanks.

Are all wood lathe chucks scroll chucks.....how do you tell?? I've looked at the descriptions in some of the catalogs and many of them don't seem to mention the feature. If a chuck is not a scroll chuck, what is it?? Any particular name??? Thanks.

Gregory Huey

Yes a scroll chuck will move all jaws at a time when turning with the chuck wrench. A independent jaw chuck has each jaw move by itself. Most often a scroll will be a three jaw and a independent will be a 4 jaw.

Rifleman1776

True words. Early on I bought a three-jaw Grizzly and just the sight of the thing scares me. My son, a doctor, just shook his head when I showed it to him. And, I found that it just doesn't properly center wood and positioning is not repeatable. The chuck is accurate, I have tested with round metal stock. I suspect that the converging jaws are affected by soft/hard spots in the wood that throw it off center. Good boat anchor.

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Another tidbit, there was a time when only Metal Working Lathes had chucks. More commonly chucks are known as 3 jaw or 4 jaw. A Metal Working Chuck is a knuckle ripper, you only get close once...[8D] Unless, you like pain...[:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom