Screwed up my antler need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

I have a deer antler that I want to turn for my dad (it was his deer so there is some sentimental value). Being new to turning and pen turning, I cut the blank and drilled the 7mm hole for the slimline. One of the antlers came out too thin on the bottom, but I think I can work with it.

The problem is when I was reeming out the top the brass tube got chewed up.

Is there a way I can remove the brass tube? I used thick CA glue to set the brass.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I take it when you say"reaming", you mean "milling"
On a slim line it shouldn't matter,just square it off and continue.
If you really want to put a new tube in it, soak it in acetone,this may take a day or longer and push the tube out.
LET THE BLANK DRY SOMPLETELY before regluing with CA acetone will act as an accelerant also regardless of how many people post it cannot do both.
(dissolve and accelerate CA)
It does much like digoxin stops and starts a heart.[:D]

DocStram

Hey Joe, eagle is right (for the first time). But here's another idea. Give up on that section of antler. If you're out of antler and need a piece just let me know. I'll get one in the mail to you. I know it's sentimental cause it's his antler. But, maybe you need to cut your losses and just suck it up. We'll be the only ones to know!
(eagle .... it was good talking with you the other day)

TomJ

If you think you milled it to short, remove the tube and add a segment of wood. Use something like ebony. This will give the pen some more character.

Tom j

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by TomJ
<br />Acetone will dilute CA

acetone will act as an accelerant also regardless of how many people post it cannot do both.
See what I mean?
It has been my experience that acetone will SOFTEN cured CA but does not dilute it.
It will also set it if it hasn't cured

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
<br />Acetone will dilute CA

acetone will act as an accelerant also regardless of how many people post it cannot do both.
See what I mean?
It has been my experience that acetone will SOFTEN cured CA but does not dilute it.
It will also set it if it hasn't cured

Eagle is correct. Acetone does not dilute CA. And it dissolves and accelerates hardening, depending on how much acetone you use.

sandking

<br />If you think you milled it to short, remove the tube and add a segment of wood. Use something like ebony. This will give the pen some more character.

Tom j

I like the idea of using wood with it. I never thought of that. I guess I just need to make sure it's the same length. Can I split the top piece 1/2 wood and 1/2 antler? How do you take care of the seam?

TomJ

You can use any proportion you wish. Glue the deer antler to the wood with CA. I will send a pic to you of a deer antler ebony I have done. You will see it this afternoon.

Originally posted by sandking
<br />
<br />If you think you milled it to short, remove the tube and add a segment of wood. Use something like ebony. This will give the pen some more character.

Tom j

I like the idea of using wood with it. I never thought of that. I guess I just need to make sure it's the same length. Can I split the top piece 1/2 wood and 1/2 antler? How do you take care of the seam?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you can save most of the antler if would be better.1/2 and 1/2 radial glue ups look like afterthoughts.
It is not often the design"works",
Sort of like a big oops band.

Jerryconn

Just an idea, I have done this once and it worked, just take your 7mm drill bit and run it back through to drill out the tube then glue in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom