Screw Caps or Snap Caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chigdon

I have never turned a pen with a snap cap but they seem to be favorites among people who do solid body pens. The question I have is how does the design compare to screw caps. It seems that there have been so many threading problems with the Gents, Statesman, etc. that it makes me wonder why all the premium kits use screw caps. I turn almost entirely Barons so I don't have a problem with screw caps but I am not sure I wouldn't like them better if they were snap caps.

P.S. Whenever I hand my pens to a real "Pen Person" (not a turner) they frequently try to pull the cap off.

vick

The reason I like snap caps is the trim ring on the cap can be left off. Also it works well with Russ's invisible clip method tha I use a lot. The snap cap is a little thinner than a baron, but also a little cheaper.
I see alot more Baron solid bodies than snap caps though.

wayneis

Most of the snap cap kits have or are being fazed out. There are only two kits that have had thread problems and that has been fixed. I don't think that I've seen a snap cap solid body displaied here in ages, or any SC pen period. They have problems also, the plastic wears and streaches and eventually the cap won't stay on the body. This is not something that every customer can fix.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom