Scraper advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkheart

For most of my turning I've been using a skew, Most of the time that's the best tool. But on some woods, EI rosewood, Tulipwood, Desert Ironwood, the skew, no matter how light a cut I take I have tearout. On other woods, if I use the scraper I get tons of tearout.

Tools are sharp, so I've checked that. Is there any rhyme or reason to which woods work best with which tool? Can i change my technique so I can use a scraper for all woods? I rather use the scraper, as I have great control with it and making coves and beads are safer. I still get the skew wanting to wander if I'm not real careful when doing beads [xx(]

Any advice is appreciated. If it matters I'm using the HSS 1/2 round nose scraper and skew from PSI. The skew has a nice curved edge, and the scraper is at 55 degrees or so.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I hate to say it, but I think the problem with the skew is your technique. I use a Crown Pro-PM curved skew and turn a fair amount of DI and have no problems with tear-out. On straight grain wood, I think you are likely to have problems with tear-out no matter what you do with a scraper. I use a scraper a lot on plastics and antler and sometimes on burls, but never on straight grain wood. Of course, I have no idea what your level of experience is with a skew so I may be totally off base, but I would recommend Alan Lacer's DVDs on using a skew. They're both very well done and highly informative.

Others with more experience than me may have a different take on your problem.

JimGo

I use the skew almost exclusively, including DI, rosewood, cocobolo, olive, etc. I strongly recommend getting a copy of Alan Lacer's skew video. There are some links in the archives to online (free) videos that are useful, too, but the Lacer videos are excellent. I had been using the skew for a while, and after watching the first video I was both much more efficient and got a better finish with less tear out. But that's just me.

I used to use the scraper on my synthetic blanks, but don't find that I need that any more.

BernieW

I also use a big Raffan skew. I get a surface that almost doesn't need sanding. I agree with the others to get both of Alan Lacer's videos on using a skew. I did when I first started and practiced till I had it down. A detail spindle gouge and skew is what I use 99% of the time on any spindle work. I very seldom use anything but a skew on pens, confetti lamps and peppermills.

Jerryconn

Ditto JimGo. The lacer video is excellent I use the skew almost 100% start to finish with good results on everything I put on the lathe. IMHO if the skew is "sharp" and properly used you cannot get a better finish with anything else.

Darkheart

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the DVD, as I'm always willing to learn more.

I've been turning for just over a year and a half, but have to take the winters off as my garage is unheated. I'm confident enough with the tool that I don't get catches. I ride the bevel, and keep the bottom edge of the skew at a vertical level when doing my final shear-cut, using the curve of the edge to cut the fibers.

Thanks for the advice. I have another question though, about the oval vs. square skew. I was under the impression it's a matter of personal preference, that one is not superior to the other. Am I correct in this assessment? I use a square skew, and have never tried one with an oval bottom.

BernieW

I think your are correct in your assumption. I think it is preference. I don't like a oval skew. I round my edges slightly on the Raffan skew I got like Alan Lacer did. It sure did make a difference. You can get Lacer's DVD at most any of the supplies houses.

You can get a nicer/smoother cut with a skew than with a scraper.

Check your bevel, it should be "around" 1-1/2 times as long as the skew is thick.
My bevels are anywhere from 1-1/4x (time to reshape) to 2x (reshaped to much)

meandmyskew.jpg

All 7 of my skews have a slight radius, even my oval skew.

I really don't see much of an advantage over an oval to a flat skew, but I do like my 1/4" round skew (shown above).

Instead of buying a oval skew, round over the edges of your flat skew.

KenV

Building on the round skew -- Robert Rosand published an article on those (maybe there are a couple of tips too) with reprint at his site rrosandDOTcom These are easy to grind from the end of a high speed steel drill blank, dixie pin, or even the butt of a drill bit.

Note that for plastics, Yo-Yo Spin (Ed Davidson) uses about a 1:1 ratio where longer bevels are common for wood. (Ron above- Alan Lacer, etc).

A skew can be used as a scraper and shear scraper. Sounds like you may be scraping with a skew.....

Thanks Ken

Bob Rosand gave me that skew in the picture
Here is a link for the rod http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=383-7015

Free shipping from Enco on orders over $50 for this month COUPON CODE: WBJR7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom