Scrap wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrc

This is a few pieces of scrap wood I got today from a mill that make alot of flooring. He burns this in his kiln. First is crotch walnut the other is whith oak and ash. This guy has given me some of the wood I have used.

200556223038_Walnut-scrap.jpg

20055622315_White-oak-and-ash.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Is that white oak curly or is that from the saw? The walnut and the oak should make great pens! Not sure about the ash, except maybe that middle piece where the color changes; that might look interesting. Well, and the middle of the bottom piece where the grain patterns come together. I'm still new at this, so forgive my ignorance, but won't the grain at the bottom left of the bottom piece be too broad for use in a pen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the wood; they're all REALLY pretty! I'm just still trying to get a handle how how a board translates into a pen blank, and into a pen.

jrc

What I do is cut it all up into pen blanks and pick out the best. The walnut I will use almost all of it. The white oak about 2/3 and the ash, the curly parts and around the knot. What I got today was about all I could carry in short pieces and will get maybe 150 pens from it. Check you local woodshope the use hardwood and you might be suprised what they throw out.

53Jim

Nice find. If you have more than you can use, let me know..

Jim
(I'm not a fast turner and I'm not a slow turner - I'm a half-fast turner)

jwoodwright

Nice wood. Most shops throw away a lot of useable wood. The problem is storage. Cheaper to buy what they need instead of storing. Allows more production area, instead of storage racks...[:)]

MDWine

Free wood is great!

My wife brought home a Dogwood trunk yesterday! Nice! I waxed it up and will let it cure for as long as I can stand it. It's stacked next to my Plum! [;)][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom