School Bus Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
SWMBO is a school bus driver.... she wants me to make her a pen and have a school bus laser engraved on the top... what wood do you think would be closest in color to school bus yellow...
Believe it or not school bus drivers are nuts... they will buy just about anything that has a school bus on it...
This year I designed and cut 4 school bus ornaments for my wife on the scroll saw... she took the extras to a drivers luncheon and next thing I knew I had orders for 20 more of them...
So she is thinking that if I do one for her and she shows it off, they will order them...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Osage orange & put some transaparent yellow stain on it like the chesnut stain. That should get it yellow and still see the nice wood grain. Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
BINGO... thanks Tony... DUH... never thought of osage... and that chestnut dye is fantastic.. I used it to make my red hat set from some maple burl...

PenWorks

I died an osage with another transparent yellow stain I had, can't remember the brand, but it turned out YELLOW , YELLOW ! Good luck. Anthony

low_48

Griz,
How about splitting the osage and putting a black veneer stripe down the side, like the line under the windows? Then maybe a little redheart inlay to duplicate the stop sign. Maybe that could be just a drill hole and a dowel to fill the hole? Or rows of walnut dowels down the side to duplicate the windows?
After I thought about this, it will probably just be an inside idea that only bus drivers might imagine what all those dots meant. Keeping it simple can always be the best way. Just some thoughts[:)]
Rich

TheHeretic

After seeing how yellow it really is a couple of weeks ago, my first thougth was yellowheart as well. Although I would also say Osage as well.

Now depending on how involved you want to get you could take some very figured maple and simply dye it to the orangeish yellow that school buses are. or do an Osage with ebony laminate strip. All the school buses I see are yellow with black.

Dean
Columbus OH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom