Schmidt Ceramic Roller 5888 Woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCWoodworker

I have to say that I am extremely frustrated with the Schmidt rollerball ink cartridges that come with the high end kits from CSUSA. I have been through three refills now in a matter of weeks. Surely, this is not everyone else's experience, also!?!? It works great for two weeks...the ink flows so nicely and it is a pleasure to write with. Then, it starts skipping and the written line gets thinner and lighter. I have gone back to some of my customers..embarrassed to find they are having the same problem.

I don't believe that I'm abusing these cartridges in any way...anyone have any thoughts!?!?!

cheers,
Chris Mathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

All depends how much you write, if this is a lot, you can go through a refill in a week. I believe that the Schmidt refills are the better ones over the Hauser coming with Berea's kits. I don't write much by hand (thanks Microsoft...), but I change mine roughly every three four weeks and only use the pen for taking notes and signatures.

Texatdurango

I think I would tend to agree that it's all about how much you use them. I have a 5888 refill in the pen I carry around and it does just fine, even after a couple months now.

When I was working, attending meetings, taking notes, writing proposals on the fly, etc, a rollerball would last me a month, now I figure one would last a year![:)]

I like the smoothness of the 5888 over the 888 refill.

George

George

NCWoodworker

hey guys...thanks for the response. I have been using the Schmidt pen as my primary pen. I am using the pen to take notes, etc in meetings, but have not 'overused' the pen by any means. For example, I was previously using a cigar pen with a Parker cartridge. I have never had to replace the cartridge while using it for close to six months. This Schmidt pen is being used in the same way and only lasts a couple of weeks at best. :-(

anyway, thanks for adding your thoughts.
Chris

alamocdc

First, I don't think that the Schmidt holds the same amount of ink as the Parker. The walls of the plastic tube need to be thicker than the metal Parkers. Secondly, RB ink is much less viscous and tends to evaporate faster (why we need to keep them capped when not in use). Both of these could lead to the ink appearing to used up faster. I'm not absoultely positive, but that's what logic is telling me. A test might be to use one of the metal Schmidt refills and see if it lasts any longer. Okay, where's that icon for shrugging shoulders?

Randy_

Billy:

Save this for future use.

200752405436_Shrug_Shoulders.gif
<br />

mdburn_em

I have always enjoyed writing with Parker refills and did so for many years, before I was sucked into this addiction. Now I carry and use all kinds.
It is my suspicion that the cartridges we get with the kits are "starter" cartridges. Cartridges that don't have the normal amount of ink in them. I have absolutely nothing to base it on except the amount of time I can write with a parker refill I purchase in the package and one that I get in a kit. Having been in school all year, my writing habits are pretty steady.
I think what I will have to do is buy some refills...Parker, Cross, Hauser and Schmidt and cut them apart to measure the ink levels. Then I'll do the same with the refills we get with our kits.
Money <s>goes</s> grows (oops) on trees doesnt' it? [:0]

alamocdc

Originally posted by NCWoodworker
<br />...actually, the 5888 is one of the refills with metal sides. :)

you don't work at the af base, do you? I grew up very near you..my dad worked there.

As a matter of fact, Chris, yes, I do.

Thanks, Randy.

NCWoodworker

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />My Schmidt 5888 is so smooth it's a pleasure writing with it. But, on oily paper or paper that has been sweated on, it will skip. Otherwise, great.

Maybe that is my problem. So, where do you get paper that hasn't been sweated on anyway???[:D][:p][;)][:eek:)]

Interesting theory on the ink levels in pen kits. I'll have to ask csusa if there's any merit to that.

Billy - my father retired from WPAFB in 2002, I believe. He was a civilian working in Stock Control and Distribution and was there for as long as I can remember. He's now retired near the beach..and quite happy :)

Cheers,
Chris

EasyGreasy

My favorite Jr Statesman RB I like to show off skips when I write and that is most annoying when I am showing it off. I havnt written much with it due to this small quality anomoly. I should not have to buy replacement cartridges for a new pen.

Are you listening CSUSA

Most of the lower cost kits seem to write ok. The teachers pens run out of ink really fast. But its a tiny cartridge.

redfishsc

Every last one-o-yuns can solve this problem once and fer all.

Go to Staples.

Buy a pack of Pilot G2 refills (fine tip... do NOT get the "extra fine" -- they skip too). I prefer the 3-pack (red/blue/black).

No modifications. Plug and play. These are the best refills I've seen yet.

I have a small pile of Hausers and Schmidts. I do NOT sell a single rollerball with either of them. I just burn them up taking notes at the Seminary. I put G2's in my customers pens and I forward them to Staples if they need refills. Nary a complaint.

NCWoodworker

Originally posted by EasyGreasy
<br />
Are you listening CSUSA

Yes, as a matter of fact, they are! I contacted customer support about my issue and they are working very nicely with me to make me happy! I have to say that this is my second interaction with their customer support and I have been extremely pleased with their reception to my questions/comments/and feedback! It will be interesting to try a different batch of the refills to see if I have a different experience. If so, I will move on to a different type of refill. If that's the case, however, I would strongly consider petitioning to have a different refill added to the high end kits. There is no reason to spend that kind of money on a pen kit only to have to suppliment it with a different refill!

Cheers,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom